help!! 5 yr old BAD migrain

does anyone know if you can give a 5 year old Excedrin Migrain i am waiting on a referral to see a neurologist so i need to help her till monday please no negitive feedback im just asking a question thanks

MyPrincesses421

Asked by MyPrincesses421 at 8:38 PM on Apr. 24, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Children's tylenol & motrin are definately ok. Not sure about migraine meds., sorry.
    txdaniella

Answer by txdaniella at 8:41 PM on Apr. 24, 2010

• It has alot of caffeine in it. I know it is too much for my system to take so it might be too much for a 5 year old.. Try the children's meds, a dark room, little to no noise and a cool wash cloth on the forehead. Sometime a gentle head massage helps mine too..
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 8:45 PM on Apr. 24, 2010

• I don't recommend it honestly. I've had migraines for 12 years and they kill me so I can only imagine what your poor baby is going through and I am so sorry to hear. But I would stick with the meds that you know are safe until she can be seen by a doctor. If you are really wanting something stronger then I am sure there is an advice line at your local hospital, or a 24 hour line for her doctor's office. They will tell you what she can and can't have
    Ctink8189

Answer by Ctink8189 at 8:46 PM on Apr. 24, 2010

• Give him/her tylenol the correct weight based dose and motrin (the correct weight based dose, and a cup of coffee (6 ounce)
    YES I wrote AND they can be given together
    MELRN

Answer by MELRN at 8:50 PM on Apr. 24, 2010

• why dont you go with your instinct sister cutt it in half or call the nurse do they have a 24 hour nurse line poor mack this stinks i hope she feels better have you tried putting a cold wash cloth on her head adn having her lay down it may help some... or maybe just try adult tylenol and cutt that one in half.... so it doesn't burn her tummy let me know love ya
    kymberleesmom

Answer by kymberleesmom at 8:51 PM on Apr. 24, 2010

• If your 5y/o gets frequent h/a that bad they need an MRI /MRA AND an EEG-- I saw you mentioned the neurologist but make sure it is a GOOD neurologist and don't let the office jerk you around with appointments be tough and get one ASAP
    sorry had to give my input LOL
    MELRN

Answer by MELRN at 8:53 PM on Apr. 24, 2010

• I would not give an adult medication unless told to by a doctor. I'd stick with doses of the kids stuff for now, have her in a dark, quiet room, and get a heat pack and put it on the back of her neck. The heat helps loosen the muscles and allows better blood flow and that helps get rid of migraines.
    Anonymous

• You can't give a child excedrin migraine because it has aspirin in it. I would suggest calling your pharmacy to get a suggestion, I use to do that when I couldn't get a hold of my regular doctor.

I've never heard of anyone getting migraines at that age, please try and find out what they think could be causing them.
    daisy521

Answer by daisy521 at 9:00 PM on Apr. 24, 2010

• as a nurse i say don't give it to her give her the correct dose of CHILDREN'S motrin gl i hope it's nothing serious
    Anonymous

• Thanks everyone i appreciate it truly... also daisy its Genetic apparently i have only ever had one but my mom gets them all the time and thanks sis i appreciate the input..... and yes Merlin she will be seeing one and i dont take crap from docs lol i give it... hopefully with all ur guys input ill stick with kids meds till monday once again THANK YOU ALL!!!!
    MyPrincesses421

Answer by MyPrincesses421 at 9:14 PM on Apr. 24, 2010