could it be?

On Monday of this week, I found out that I had a miscarriage. On tuesday, I had a D & E. (not the usual D & C that many other women have, but the same idea with the same side effects.)

The bleeding and cramping has been minimal until yesterday. My cramping started to really pick up and today I had a lot more bleeding with some clotting too. In my discharge papers, I was told to call the Dr. if the bleeding picked up and/or if it didn't end within 72 hrs.

So I called today and dealt with the Dr. on call (who is known for her horrible bedside manner). but she said it could be my period. I felt like it was a cop-out answer. Could it really be my period so soon? I just had the surgery on tuesday. What do you think?

cschwanger

Asked by cschwanger at 9:02 PM on Apr. 24, 2010 in Pregnancy

• it COULD be but i'd wait and call back to talk to the doctor i was comfortable with
    Anonymous

• i think id be calling another doctor and getting a second opinion.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 9:04 PM on Apr. 24, 2010

• I would wonder the same thing...your period already? That just doesnt seem right to me. I agree with pp, call back and talk to another doctor if possible.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 9:05 PM on Apr. 24, 2010

• Since it's the weekend, I can't get to my doc until at least Monday. Sooooo frustrating!
    cschwanger

Answer by cschwanger at 9:06 PM on Apr. 24, 2010

• i agree with pp. I have and 2 d&cs and I usually got my period 3-4 weeks after them. you could call a ER doctor, and I dont know if there is one at your hospital but at mine if its a weekend and not something to go to the er over but not something to wait they have a fast clinic. GL
    SabrenaLeigh

Answer by SabrenaLeigh at 9:07 PM on Apr. 24, 2010

• I don't think it's your period either. I had something similar happen to me a few days after a D&C and what happened was a bloodclot formed and covered the cervix which didn't allow the blood out, then once that clot was released all the built up blood came out. It scared the hell out of me and when I called the ob unit I was told only to worry if the clots are larger than a quarter and I was filling more than a pad an hour. I went in, and was told it was from the surgery, that there was no way it could've been my period just 6 days after a D&C. I had thought the bleeding stopped 2 days after the D&C but apparently I was bleeding all along there was just no way for the blood to come out. My period came 4 weeks later.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:32 AM on Apr. 25, 2010