Jesus came to divide, not bring peace?

This was told to me today in another question below. I have never heard this before. Do other believers feel t his way as well? Do you believe Jesus came to divide, instead of spreading love and forgiveness?

It's ironic that today I hear this statement. After a day at the MS Walk a thon....I saw the greatest example of strangers coming together in peace, working together for the common good. I once again felt the awesome beauty of all kinds of people coming together, working together, regardless of race, religion, sexual orientation, ethnicity, etc. It was amazing.
ANd hearing this statement from a Christian was like affirmation once again, that MY beliefs are very much the right path for me. ANd the christian path is VERY much- NOT.

sahmamax2

Asked by sahmamax2 at 9:58 PM on Apr. 24, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• and that God has opened the eyes of your heart.

LOL, a god can't open the eyes of your heart when he has hatred in his.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 10:14 PM on Apr. 24, 2010

• On Luke 12:51- What Jesus is saying is that families will be divided over Him. There will be some who choose to follow Him and other members of the family who don't and this will cause conflict.

He is aware of the conflict that His death and ressurection will cause.

Of course it would be His desire that we would all believe on Him, but He knows that is not what will happen and He knows there will be great division amongst people because of Him.

This is true....there is great division. As a Christian I believe Jesus is the only way and I know that really irritates some but that is what the Bible teaches and this scripture reaffirms that teaching. Jesus being the only way to salvation does tend to cause conflict but it is God's truth, and I stand on it through faith.

deedee3849

Answer by deedee3849 at 9:07 AM on Apr. 25, 2010

• The N.T. says it all. Jesus admits that he came "not to bring peace, but the sword." and to "set father against son, mother against daughter, brother against brother, etc." He warned that if you didn't "Hate your father and mother, brothers and sisters, wife and children and, yes, even yourself." you could not follow him. The "Prince of Peace" called his adversaries a "generation of vipers", "whited sepulchers", and "fools and blind." He capriciously cursed a fig tree to death for the crime of not having figs for him to eat, even tho it was OUT of season for figs. He stole crops from the fields of others and an ass colt from the rightful owner. He ignored his own family when they came to speak with him. This doesn't sound like a peaceful man to me.
    witchqueen

Answer by witchqueen at 12:28 PM on Apr. 25, 2010

• As you wish. Jesus badmouthing-- Matt. 23:17, 19 and Luke 11:40 and 12:20, Matt 23:17 (fools and blind), Matt. 12:34 (generation of vipers), Matt. 23:27 ( hypocrites...whited sepulchres). Hate your family-- Luke 14:26 and Matt. 10:35-36. War not peace-- Matt. 10:34. Smiting the fig tree--Matt. 21:18-21. Stealing corn on the sabbath--Mark 2:23. Stealing a horse without permission--Matthew 21 (the colt he rode into Jerusalem on...remember???) Snubs his mother and siblings--Matt. 12:46-49. I'm not pulling this stuff out of my ass here, people. Don't you read your own book???
    witchqueen

Answer by witchqueen at 6:11 PM on Apr. 26, 2010

• No, we're not all that kind of Christian.

Anonymous

• Uhmm, no. Not the Jesus I have faith in.
    Loryl

Answer by Loryl at 10:07 PM on Apr. 24, 2010

• This is the verse used to back this claim....how do you interpret it, and is it taken out of context:

""Do you think I came to bring peace on earth? No, I tell you, but division." Luke 12:51
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 10:08 PM on Apr. 24, 2010

• I agree with anon :04
    Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 10:08 PM on Apr. 24, 2010

• Why don't you leave God, and His children alone then?

I don't think your god is bothered by my asking questions:)
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 10:22 PM on Apr. 24, 2010

• Uh no, m2KnL. She's just asking a question. You are the one being rather presumptuous.

pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 11:19 PM on Apr. 24, 2010