Anyone Else have a BORDER COLLIE??????

I just adopted one a few months ago and we are still getting used to him. He has ALOT of energy and is constantly nipping. I know its in his blood, but does anyone have any tips with them. Hes good with my one year old daughter but is constantly nipping my 3 year old son. Any advice for potty training too....the shelter that had him, had him trained to the potty mat so he refuses to go outside and had him trained on self feeding. Any other advice would be great too THANKS! :)

Coontzwoman

Asked by Coontzwoman at 10:24 PM on Apr. 24, 2010 in Pets

• Get a doggy backpack and take him for daily walks. Border collies need a job, and domestic life doesn't suit them very well unless you are very active. If you give him a backpack and have him carry your water bottles for you, a snack, something, then he will feel like you are giving him a job and he will be much better behaved.

Border collies need a lot of room to run, but if you don't have this, long daily walks will suffice. The nipping should subside when he feels like he has another job, as well. He does that because he feels like he has nothing better to do. Correct him every time he nips at your son and keep working on long walks and a job and he will get it :)

I love border collies, but they are very high-energy dogs and need a lot of special care to be happy. Keep up the good work and you'll have yourself a great family dog in no time :)
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 10:34 PM on Apr. 24, 2010

• for the nipping take a rolled up newspaper & tapping him in the nose every time he nips, only with the paper. As for potty training try putting the mats outside & see if he'll go then slowly take mats away & if he goes inside the house put his nose in in say no & put him outside. also if he goes outside you can give him a treat, once he has the hang of it slowly take treat away.
    maiahlynn

Answer by maiahlynn at 10:38 PM on Apr. 24, 2010

• OP DON"T HIT YOUR DOG WITH A NEWSPAPER. He is only doing what comes naturally to him and hitting him will reinforce bad behavior. There is a possibility he will become aggressive. AGAIN DO NOT HIT YOUR DOG and DO NOT LISTEN TO QUACKS on the internet that tell you that hitting your dog is okay. It isn't.

As the poster above maiahlynn said, give him something to do. He needs a job. Border Collies are herding breeds, they have a ton of energy and they are the smartest dog breed there is. The sky is the limit with what he can be taught. Tricks, or flyball, or agility. Google both and see if its something you might be interested in. Don't hit your dog though.
    Acid

Answer by Acid at 11:17 PM on Apr. 24, 2010

• Don't hit the dog for doing what it was bred to do. The dog is more then likely herding your son when his is nipping. When it starts have your son stop playing with the dog immediately. You can also say "ouch" (have your son do this as well) when the dog puts it's mouth on you at all. This teaches dogs not to bite so hard and to eventually stop. If the dog is nipping at the heals then you might also try setting him up when you know he is most likely to do this by spraying your sons shoes and the back of his pants with bitter apple. Not dousing of course just a light spray. Border collies are ones that also need a job if they don't they will turn their focus on other things like herding people.  You could take him to herding classes, Agility,flyball or just teach him a ton of tricks and use that to give him something to do.

KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 10:02 AM on Apr. 25, 2010

• If you play with your dog he won't nip. Most people don't do well with them because they can't devote the time. We take ours out to play ball in the back yard an hour in the morning and 3 more in the afternoon.
    Anonymous

• If you have a local Fly Ball team, that would be awesome for the pup! Lots of exercise!
    Anonymous

• Wow--you spend four hours a day throwing a ball for your dog? I don't believe it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:17 AM on Apr. 26, 2010

• You may need to re-evaluate yourselfves and decide whether or not you are the right family for this dog. I always thought we were the right family for every animal until I got a border collie bred for cattle. And I could not control him, coming from a person able to control buffalo and maniac horses, I thought that was saying alot. So...we had to finally find a good home for him with people who needed a cattle dog and had lots of collie experience. I'm not saying get rid of the dog, I am saying the dog might have a people problem. My sister will only have border collies, and she does wonderfully with them by creating daily jobs for them. Silly things like flushing out birds from around her pond and making sure the mailbox is safe. They need jobs to daily and they need lots of excercise. The nipping can be cured with a pinch to the upper lip each time he does it. GL to you and the dog.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 10:01 AM on Apr. 26, 2010

• Don't physically abuse your dog to train it.

Hurting a dog to train it teaches it nothing but to fear you. Eventually this turns into aggression and then you wonder why your dog is suddenly snapping, growling and biting.

Don't hurt your dog to train it. And if people DO hurt their dogs to train them you should all be ashamed of yourselves and reevaluate your mental capacity.
    Acid

Answer by Acid at 2:58 PM on Apr. 26, 2010

• i would never own a border collie cause they are just to smart and have the energy that i wouldn't be able to handle. now that a shelter let you adopt him makes me think you may of been screened and approved and equiped to adopt this breed but maybe you need to rethink it. whats best for you and the dog? i can't tell you. it's harder to train not to nip when it's in the breed but just continue to stop it as it starts or happens. i'm sure it knows not to but herding instincts are just to strong maybe. i'm sorry i suppose i wasn't much help was i?
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 7:05 PM on Apr. 27, 2010