What is an appropriate gift for a girl graduating high school?

My neighbors dd is graduating a local high school and going off to a college in Pennsylvania. I asked her if she needed or wanted anything in particular, she said "NO". I don't want to give her a gift card, but a physical thing, like a nice pair of earrings? A flip camera?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:44 PM on Apr. 24, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• since she's going to go away for college, why not get her something for her dorm or even a gift certificate so she can get some things for her dorm.
    Anonymous

• Money. Really.
    Anonymous

• Yeah honestly money. Trust me a 17-18 year old girl is NOT going to think that is tacky!!!!
    Anonymous

• Pretty much everyone gave me money. If you want to give her something else, though, it's up to you. Gift cards are also fairly popular and come in really handy, especially if you know her favorite store(s). Perfume, earings, a necklace, a good book you recommend if she's a reader, a graduation themed DVD that she doesn't have, a gift certificate for something like a manicure or pedicure, etc. would probably all be appreciated. A friend of mine who was already out of high school got me a bouquet that was gorgeous. My fiance (now husband) got me my ipod nano and put it inside a gift card holder card. That was awesome lol. Hope I helped some.
    Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 11:06 PM on Apr. 24, 2010

• If she is going away to school then something for her dorm room or apartment, A frame for her diploma, Something monogramed like a robe or jewelry box.
    Anonymous

• She said she would let me know what she can have after they visit the college this summer.

My thoughts are these: a complete bed/sheet/comforter set OR a small pair of diamond earrings OR a nice Flip Camera or other type of digital camera.

Let me know.
    Joeygoat

Answer by Joeygoat at 2:24 AM on Apr. 25, 2010

• If money is something that is acceptable to give, how much is a good amount? $100 or more?
    Joeygoat

Answer by Joeygoat at 2:26 AM on Apr. 25, 2010

• She's going to college....a gift card or money would be a great gift. With cash she could put it towards books or something she'll need for the dorm and if go with a gift card you could either make it to a popular clothing store so she could by clothes for school or find out what restauraunts or movie theatres are in the area of her college and buy her a gift card to one of those places so that she can go out with friends (most college students don't have a lot of spending money). Depending on how close you are to the family would depend on the amount. I'd give $25-$50 for a neighbor's daughter.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:50 AM on Apr. 25, 2010

• A gift card really is best; one to the university bookstore would be very thoughtful.

Answer by rkoloms at 9:50 AM on Apr. 25, 2010

• Gift cards to Walmart or other stores like that in her area. That way she has a way to buy things when she runs out of shampoo, needs paper, etc.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 12:22 PM on Apr. 25, 2010