Pregnant without Healthcare

My aunt is 5 months pregnant and residing in Florida. I can't believe that there is no affordable healthcare for pregnant woman! She has been paying out of pocket for her pre-natal visits, which as we all know can get more and more expensive, not to mention her concern about the hospital bill once she gives birth.

Does anyone know where she can find resources for this type of situation? Her husband works but his job doesn't offer family healthcare. He makes too much $$ for her to qualify for medicaid...

BabyJLoOnTheWay

Asked by BabyJLoOnTheWay at 11:27 PM on Apr. 24, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Can't she go to the health dept? I live in FL and my dd went there.
    Anonymous

• free clinics? I had to pay out of pocket for the first 6 months of my first pregnancy because no insurance compnay will give me covergae being pregnant and my worked canceled my insurance right when i found out i was pregnant so i was without and made to much for medicade as well
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 11:29 PM on Apr. 24, 2010

• I'll let her know... is there anything she needs to bring along with her? What did your dd do and what resources did they offer?
    BabyJLoOnTheWay

Answer by BabyJLoOnTheWay at 11:30 PM on Apr. 24, 2010

• I am surprised that her doctor's office is not working with her. When I did not have insurance, my doctor's office added the cost of delivery to the cost of all the doctor's appts. Split it by the number of appts. I had and I paid that much every visit, with 10% off if I paid it in cash. The hospital then just let me make payments after delivery. My doctor's office also has a charity fund for people that do not qualify for medical assistance. Did she try for the medical assistance or just assume that she wouldn't get it? The income level is usually higher for pregnant women.
    Anonymous

• Her clinic should offer payment arrangements. But I'd call around places and ask them as well. I know where I live they have programs at the hospitial where if you make to much to get medicaid they go by your income, and can help you pay your hospital bills, Check with the health department as well.
    skylarsmommy24

Answer by skylarsmommy24 at 1:31 AM on Apr. 25, 2010