Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Have you ever found any books useful for helping with a failing relationship?

My marriage is in serious trouble. We can't afford counseling. I was wondering if maybe there are any books/workbooks out there that are actually helpful. We've talked ourselves to death and we can't figure out what to do. We still care about one another and we want to fix things, we just don't know where or how to begin. We really don't want to get divorced, since we do still care about each other and want to fix things.

Any advice is very welcome.


Asked by Anonymous at 11:52 PM on Apr. 24, 2010 in Relationships

This question is closed.
Answers (11)
  • love dare.....and 5 languages of love....even if he doesnt want to do the love dare book you can do it all by yourself...its not easy but the key is,doing it no matter how he responds...even if he doesnt respond to you jus keep doing it....have you seen the movie fireproof? you should watch it!!!

    Answer by momOF2Girls0710 at 11:59 PM on Apr. 24, 2010

  • there is one on called How to improve your marriage without talking about it.. its a really good one.. you can download it to your computer,,and read it online for 10.00 . it shows you how to communicate more effectively...

    Answer by Anonymous at 12:22 AM on Apr. 25, 2010

  • oh and that is communicate without talking, bringing back the connection that you had , like when you first got together and things seems simpler...

    Answer by Anonymous at 12:23 AM on Apr. 25, 2010

  • Making your marriage a love story. By tom and maurene anderson. It is really good, kinda religious, but if you aren't religious you cut that part out. My dh is atheist and he loves it.

    Answer by hot-mama86 at 1:13 AM on Apr. 25, 2010

  • "Love and Respect" By Dr. Emerson Eggerichs

    Answer by MomOfDagJag at 3:23 AM on Apr. 25, 2010

  • love and respect is a great book.. sorry the bible didn't help me with my relationship.

    Answer by Anonymous at 8:54 AM on Apr. 25, 2010

  • Their are counseling centers that will charge you based on your ablitity to pay; If you are in the Chicago area, Northwestern University has several centers in the area.

    Your clergy person may also be able to do couples counseling; check with her/him

    Answer by rkoloms at 9:34 AM on Apr. 25, 2010

  • I've found that a good hefty medical dictionary to the crotch is a good way to get my point across.

    Answer by Anonymous at 9:39 AM on Apr. 25, 2010

  • For Better or for Best by Gary Smalley. If that doesn't work try How to Fall Out of Love (I forgot the author)

    Answer by Anonymous at 12:17 PM on Apr. 25, 2010

  • Proper Care and Feeding of Husbands
    Proper Care and Feeding of Marriage
    The Surrendred Wife

    Answer by Anonymous at 12:41 AM on Apr. 26, 2010