At what age did you allow your kids to bodyboard? Have you ever encountered rip tides?

LavenderRose10

Asked by LavenderRose10 at 11:58 PM on Apr. 24, 2010 in General Parenting

• my son is only 11 months old so .. idk when i would let my kids bodyboard. it depends on where we are. like the jersey shore is different from FL. i went body boarding at cocoa beach in FL a few yrs ago & i got pulled out & down pretty far, but i was alright. you just gotta be careful. you can not let ur kids do anything. i would say it depends on how old mature & in shape they are
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 12:13 AM on Apr. 25, 2010

• BTW there were warnings that day at the beach i got pulled out. the beach always has warnings if theres a rip tide & etc
    PURPULbutterfly

• I started teaching my oldest when she was 8. I still won't let her go alone until she is a stronger swimmer. We practiced on small waves in water up to my waist. I was right beside her the whole time. The beach had lifeguards too. As for rip tides, you just have to be careful. Like the pp said their are usually warnings, but not always. Teach your kids about them and how to avoid them. Also how to handle the situation if they are ever caught in one.
    sunshine06

Answer by sunshine06 at 1:43 AM on Apr. 25, 2010

• Mine started when they were between 6-8. They are now almost 9, 10, and 12 and I would never let them go out onto the beach alone, but they are strong enough now that I don't feel the need to be out in the water with them, unless the waves are rough. Riptides at the beaches around here are common (southern NC), but I would never let my kids out in the water if they were dangerous at the time. I have taught them how to handle it if they come across one, and I go over it again at the beginning of every beach trip. That said - they love it and I'm glad it's something they enjoy!

Answer by missanc at 9:08 AM on Apr. 25, 2010

• I live on the beach in Florida. I have always spoken to the kids and adults that I have gone to the beach with about what to do if they get caught in a rip tide. If you get caught in a rip tide DO NOT fight it it. Let it push you down the coast even if that means you have to walk back up the beach a mile after you come out of it.
    It's rip tide season right now but you never know when you might encounter one. It's better to make sure they know what to do in advance.
    PrttyMstng

Answer by PrttyMstng at 9:11 AM on Apr. 25, 2010