ex-smokers: how do you not smoke when drinking?

have quit smoking since July 1st- because I found out I was pregnant... Tonight is the first time I have drank alcohol for almost a year and OMG the craving is the worst i think i have ever had! how do i make sure i don't smoke when i drink? i don't drink hardly ever but i hate the temptation!!! please help!

annaica

Asked by annaica at 12:12 AM on Apr. 25, 2010 in Health

• Write down on a piece of paper not to smoke while you drink. Read it the whole time your drinking lol I have no idea. I quit smoking back in OCT. Don't really get the urge to smoke while I'm drinking. I get the urge to smoke when I'm stressed. So instead I eat. Oh what a vicious cycle. Maybe I should drink all the time so I'll be relaxed.
    crazymom21

Answer by crazymom21 at 12:32 AM on Apr. 25, 2010

• ive been wondering the same thing. let me know when you find out. one of the reasons i have such a hard time quitting is bc i know how bad its going to be when i drink.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 12:14 AM on Apr. 25, 2010

• There's a commercial here that has a woman at work about to go on a smoke break, so she pulls out a blender and makes herself a cocktail before she goes. The gist of the commercial is that you have to re-learn these behaviors post quitting. That you didn't drink everytime you smoked, so you can learn to drink without smoking. It's just about gritting your teeth and getting through it until drinking doesn't bring the jones.

At seven months post-quit(for the third time because the last time I gave in to the cravings when I drank ~ so don't do it!!!) I'm finding the only time the craving goes away is when I drink. I'm just gonna pull a barstool up next to crazymom21.
    desert_diva

Answer by desert_diva at 10:56 AM on Apr. 25, 2010

• I agree with pp. that commercial is awesome. I mean really, do you drink every time you smoke? If you don't want to smoke you will get past the craving and get over it. My tough time was in the car, especially when my car still smelled like smoke after I quit. You WILL get over it once you drink enough times without having a cigg
    Anonymous