can you get pregnant while still bleeding from childbirth?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:16 AM on Apr. 25, 2010 in Pregnancy

• From what i've always understood the first 6 weeks after you have your baby are the most critical to get pregnant again, and that's one of the reasons they ask you to try and substain from it so your body can have time to heal back to it's normal state some what..I know of at least one person who got pregnant again within that first six weeks..
    JackieO69

Answer by JackieO69 at 8:49 AM on Apr. 25, 2010

• yes. Ever heard of irish twins? The term “Irish twins” is used to describe two children born to the same mother within 12 months of each other or born in the same calendar year.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:19 AM on Apr. 25, 2010

• The anon is wrong, in general. When you are still having lochia you are not fertile. You resume ovulation AFTER lochia has stopped. However, some women are ovulating at the very end, or right after lochia (during the yellowish discharge phase). If you are not breastfeeding you have no protection from pregnancy, and if you ARE breastfeeding, but not doing so ecologically, you have reduced fertility, but no guarantees.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 1:01 AM on Apr. 25, 2010

• No you cant. Me and DH had a little "accident" 4 weeks after DS was born, I called my OB and asked her what the chances were and she said as long as I bleed for 72hrs there is no chance. Same with when you are on your period.
    MiSs.SmOkEy

Answer by MiSs.SmOkEy at 1:30 AM on Apr. 25, 2010

• This is the OP-Well I waited the 6 weeks but was still bleeding, had sex and bleeding stopped by the next morning and I have not had my period for 4 months. I am exclusivley breastfeeding but I was not at the time I had sex. Yes I have taken tests and they were negative but with both my kids I never had a positive pregnancy test until like 30 weeks along...I have symptoms but I. Thought they might just be in my head because I always read that you can;t conceive while bleeding
    Anonymous

• There is nothing that makes you hyperfertile during the days and weeks after birth. Nothing. That is a total myth, and doctors tell women that they are more fertile so that you come back to their office for birth control prescriptions.

It's normal that you haven't had your period, exclusively breastfeeding. It seems to me like there is a slim chance of pregnancy, but I wouldn't be too worried about it. If you can afford it, ask for an ultrasound to be sure, but I doubt that you're pregnant.

If you don't want to see a doctor for this then a midwife would be a good option. A certified professional or licensed midwife could tell you if you're 4 months pregnant and even order an ultrasound depending on what state you are in. They usually don't charge as much as doctors do, if that is a concern you're having, since they aren't doctors :) And their offices are so much cozier!
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 7:50 PM on Apr. 25, 2010