When did Disney and Nickelodean(sp?) start making such dumb shows?

I was trying to find something for Joel, my 2 year old son, to watch. I stopped on Nick, I sat there for a minute, trying to see what the heck this show was. I checked the guide, and it was this show called "Big Time Rush". It was about four boys who start a band. I watched it for a second, and man, that show was so freaking CHEESEY!

I then flipped to Disney.
I watched for a minute, it was a show called "Good luck Charlie", about a family with 3 kids, who were a little bit older, who have a baby.
Okay, family oriented, sweet.
I watched for another moment. The parents of these four kids were about to leav fr date, when the oldest girl turns and looksat them, and says "Have fun, but not too much fun, we have enough kids already. I'm serious."

WHAT!?!!??!

I was an 80's kid, and I remember all of the 90s. this is not the show I want my children to grow up watching. When did these shows get so dumb?

brookejardenmom

Asked by brookejardenmom at 12:44 AM on Apr. 25, 2010 in Entertainment

• It seems as though everything now has some sort of sexual connotation with it, no matter how subtle and no matter what age it's geared for. It's pretty sad.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:57 AM on Apr. 25, 2010

• I haven't watched either of those shows. Never heard of them before actually. My DD is 5 (almost 6) and she prefers iCarly, Hero 108, Phinneas and Ferb, Max and Ruby, and The Suite Life on Deck. Those I find to be all okay. I actually like watching iCarly with her. But yes there are some DUMB shows on now that are super corny!
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 1:12 AM on Apr. 25, 2010

• My 8 year old loves Big time rush! It is very cheesy. lol Kids dont really care about stuff like that........or the horrible acting.
    LucyT20

Answer by LucyT20 at 1:19 AM on Apr. 25, 2010

• When people started paying big bucks to see it.
    3gifts.from.god

Answer by 3gifts.from.god at 1:31 AM on Apr. 25, 2010

• My litter sister (yes mom had one later in life) watches all those stupid shows on both channels and I wont let her watch them when she comes to visit if Hailey is in the room. I'm an 80s kid too and I love the shows like Tomas the Gnome such, but I cant believe the garbage they have on there now. I discovered Baby's first tv before Hailey was 1 and thats pretty much all she watches, it all about learning and has no comercials and the shows are only about 5 to 10 mins long which is about how long their attention can handle. you have to order through your sat provider tho, but its only about $3.50 a month. sorry comcast doesnt have it. thats why we switched to sat, she loved the sushie byes which teaches kids to like going to bed. we bought the dvd before we found out about the channel and wanted to know how she could watch more. and she fell in love with all the shows and there baby diy and my gym at home and lots of others
    HaileyZalinsMom

Answer by HaileyZalinsMom at 1:21 PM on Apr. 25, 2010

• I do dvr My friends tigger and pooh for her off of disney because she isnt up that early but it is the only show she watchs on there
    HaileyZalinsMom

Answer by HaileyZalinsMom at 1:23 PM on Apr. 25, 2010

• *start?? These channels have had the dumbest shows for a while. That is why my kids watch Netflix with old school cartoons.
    Anonymous

• I agree some shows are dumb and cheesy. I also was a 80's kid and I used to love watching TGIF every Friday and the smurfs, David the Gnome, and so on. I really miss those cartoons! Espcially the David the Gnome because it taught about nature and animals.
    I have seen that Big time rush one with my younger sis and agree it is really cheesy. But I like ICarly. My son likes to watch Nick jr. with Moose and Zee. The TV is pretty much set to that channel.
    Anonymous

• I miss the shows of my youth...anyone remember Growing Pains? The Wonder Years? Happy Days? Doug (before Disney bought it)? Recess?

Even shows like The Wild Thornberries or Hey Arnold were pretty good, and weren't that long ago.

TV has gone so downhill.
    Mousuke

Answer by Mousuke at 9:33 PM on Apr. 25, 2010

• I really miss Doug and The Wild Thornberries and Hey Arnold they were the best and but some of these shows are not shows they are crap I just don't know what happened to family fun shows that made a little sense and why we have these teens actting like adults when they are just teens kids they don't know it all but they seem to know more then the parents on some of these shows and some of these shows don't even show the parents just a some what responsible adult is this what its all come to just ignore the parents and life for a teen will be fine come on there must be something we can do to wake up these writers since we are paying for the programs anyway. thanks for letting me vent and bringing up this topic. Happy Monday make it a great day .
    mom1T2Ldh

Answer by mom1T2Ldh at 10:19 AM on Apr. 26, 2010