Chickens are smarter than dogs?

Did you know Chickens are smarter than dogs?

Why dont we eat dogs/cats... but will eat chicken?

Did you know if we treated our pets as the food industry treats our meats we would go to jail for animal cruelty? And everytime we buy meat we are SUPPORTING this.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:55 AM on Apr. 25, 2010 in Food & Drink

• I no longer eat beef and we only occasionally eat chicken. It's sad what happens to the animals. If it was up to me, this family wouldn't eat any meat at all, but my husband loves meat.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 2:51 PM on Apr. 25, 2010

• Chickens are smarter than dogs? Since when? I agree with you about the meat industry. I'm vegetarian.
    Adelicious

Answer by Adelicious at 2:04 AM on Apr. 25, 2010

• lol.. that is what i was thinking.. but i guess there are a few studies out there that show that chickens are pretty darn smart. and ive read a wee bit (not much) that pigs could be (im questioning this!) as smart (er) than 3 year olds.
    Just a few things:
    They recognise their names
    They come when called
    They know feeding times and where the food it.
    They know where their home is
    They hunt in packs
    They recognise many individual people and can spot strangers
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:14 AM on Apr. 25, 2010

• Well i know pigs are smart. they can be trained just like a dog, and i have heard that they are at least as smart as dogs.

...but chickens????
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 2:16 AM on Apr. 25, 2010

• A chicken's brain is the size of their eyeball. I've raised chickens for years and they come when called because they're conditioned that humans = food. Much of their behavior is instinct, not learned, and I've never known chickens to hunt as a flock. They are greedy things, eating anything that does or doesn't move; they'll try anything and if one chicken appears to be enjoying a meal the others will try to steal it. They do stick together, again because of instinct; one chicken off alone is easily picked off by a predator. Now, I've known some dumb dogs, but I'd pick a dog for intelligence over the average chicken ANYDAY.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:30 AM on Apr. 25, 2010

• I DO NOT believe that chickens are smarter than dogs. No way, I don't care what scientist say. Dogs eat chickens, so that tells me all I need to know about that!
    I do know you are right about the way meat factory treats their animals. I boycotted buying Tyson's chicken for years and went out of my way to try to find things with "free roam" and steroid free on the front. We are so broke now that I buy what's the cheapest.
    Did you know Walmart's clothes are so cheap because they use sweat shops?
    I finally had to relax and come to realize I couldn't control what other people do. People need people, we are social animals, and rely on each other. I'm sorry, but I can't keep and butcher my own chickens and cows and make my own clothes. I finally gave it up to God and said, what they do wrong they will have to take up with him. It's hard trying to avoid what is everywhere, you know? It's frustrating.
    AlleyK

Answer by AlleyK at 10:54 AM on Apr. 25, 2010

• Do you believe everything you read? That's the sad thing in our country, if it's in writing or on the news people are convinced it's true... LOL People should try learning through lifes experiences rather than just reading about it.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 11:57 AM on Apr. 25, 2010

• To Alley....
    You can say leave it up to God. And its in the persons hands.. but Supply & Demand.. As long as we will buy the bad stuff, it will be supplied to us...
    Every item you put in your grocery cart is a vote...If we started demanding better products, we would get it.. but everyone sits back & just accepts what is there & cheap...
    So abusing cows from birth & feeding them junk. letting them stand in filth is cheap.... so that is what we get!
    Anonymous

• Mmmm, meat, yummy yummy! We have 20 organic chickens on order right now and I can't wait to pop a couple in the roaster for a big dinner!
    Anonymous

• other countries eat dog and cat. My ex husband had dog in Egypt.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 8:13 AM on Apr. 26, 2010