Can I just stop cold turkey? How do I deal with my engorged breasts?

I have applied for a job that requires I basically go to boot camp for 6 weeks. I start next week. My daughter went to formula yesterday and has no problems with it. Now how do I deal with my engorged breasts? Is it ok to not pump, let them get hard and hurt? I have been taking tylenol and excedrin. Any advice would be appreciated.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:56 AM on Apr. 25, 2010 in Health

• you can pump and give it to your daughter insted of formula. but i think i read if you bind your chest up for a few weeks then that will help. if you want to dry up completely then i would not express any milk. i still breast feed my baby and she is 19 months. i am also a stay at home mom. my daughter would freak if i gave her formula, let alone a bottle. good luck to you!! congrats on the job, those are hard to come by. : )
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:00 AM on Apr. 25, 2010

• I would be staying at the dorms and that is 2 hours away from my family. I would only see them on the weekends, so I don't think they would let me pump while there. :(
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:08 AM on Apr. 25, 2010

• Legally, they have to let you pump. I am sure that there is some place where you can freeze the breastmilk.

Answer by rkoloms at 8:20 AM on Apr. 25, 2010

• There are lost of products to preserve your milk. You could pump and store the milk in one of those bags made by Playtex. (sterilized). By law your employer is required to give you extra time to pump. NO need to spend on formula.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:49 AM on Apr. 25, 2010

• It will only take a few days to feel more comfortable if you stop nursing now. You can self express a bit of milk when the pressure builds up. I did this about 6 weeks after my son was born b/c nursing just wasn't working for either of us, and It wasn't that bad at all. (Remember....You body, your baby, your choice!!!)

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:15 AM on Apr. 25, 2010

• I would be careful about just leaving them to get hard as this might causes lumps and then mastisis (or however you spell it). I would pump a little for relief when you need it or put your breasts in warm water to help. Your milk supply will go down because there is hardly any demand but for the first few days at least I would pump a little - It is so painful from what I remember when my son was born and I made so much that I HAD to pump even between feeds and I developed mastisis :( so pumping a little is better than being in pain.
    keyaziz

Answer by keyaziz at 9:19 AM on Apr. 25, 2010

• I completely agree with Keyaziz. At least pump a little- your breasts will eventually leak anyways- but you can develope mastitis and that's awful- an infection in your milk glands and makes you feel like you have the flu. Also if you get mastitis you would have to pump anyways to get rid of it. Cabbage leaves help dry up the milk. I've heard from many women that this actually works. Google it- I think you cook the leaves first but i'm not sure. But you wrap your breasts in them. Good luck, and don't feel guilty if you feel you cannot pump at work. Even if it is legal, it is REALLY hard to concentrate on your work when you have to stop every 2 to 4 hours to pump. You gotta' do what you gotta' do! I admire your bravery for taking a job where you have to be away for 6 weeks, I know that's gotta' be hard, esp. with a baby! But a job, esp. a good one, is hard to find! Good luck with everything.
    AlleyK

Answer by AlleyK at 10:30 AM on Apr. 25, 2010

• Ok, thanks for the advice. I kinda went the cold turkey route!! Stopped altogether at once! It sucks, I don't think I would ever do this again. By law they probably have to let me, but its a job I need and I don't want to be frowned upon because I have to go pump every 4 to 5 hours when the rest of my class is doing training. I wouldn't even see my daughter all week either. Kinda sucks, but my family really needs this job! I haven't pumped or relieved the pressure in 3 days. I have been taking tylenol to relieve some of the pain. Today wasn't so bad. I was afraid if I pumped just a little I would be leaking for weeks. I haven't leaked a drop all weekend. But its been pretty painful!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:14 AM on Apr. 26, 2010

• I used warm washrags on my breasts when they became engorged. It was very soothing.

Good luck!
    TeamJacobsCoach

Answer by TeamJacobsCoach at 10:14 PM on Apr. 27, 2010