What do you know about Bamboo flooring?

I am thinking of ordering bamboo flooring online.
If you have never heard of it, it's just as hard as wood, but more sustainable. A very eco friendly product.

Anyone ever order building products online? Good results?
Did you install it yourself? with nails or glue?
Any hints on which brands or online companies are reliable?
Any helpful info would be appreciated.

whirlygirl

Asked by whirlygirl at 7:58 AM on Apr. 25, 2010 in Home & Garden

• I can't help you with the online part, but I can tell you a little bit about bamboo. Generally you nail or glue over a wood subfloor (plywood etc) and just direct glue over a concrete subfloor. It is a good idea to use a moisture barrier like tarpaper between the subfloor and the finish floor. A little note: bamboo is not just as hard as hardwood. It is more like a soft wood with a high recovery- it can recover up 80% of its original form if it is dented. It is a grass, so it is not like hardwood at all really. It does not react as much to humidity(good), it IS softer(not so good sometimes), it is much more sustainable(good), there is less variation; also less choice for finish as it does not accept stains the way a hardwood would.

preacherskid

Answer by preacherskid at 8:59 AM on Apr. 25, 2010

• This site has instructions for installation: http://www.greenfloors.com/HP_Bamboo_Installation.htm

preacherskid

• We just put bamboo in my sons' room. We rented a pneumatic floor nailer and it went down very easily over the black paper as a barrier between the sub-flooring and the bamboo. We bought Supreme Bamboo their carbonized horizontal bamboo from Lumber Liquidators. It looks great. I got an oriental rug from Overstock.com, and I am very pleased. Just make sure your measure well. We were 2 boards short. Luckily, the store near us had a busted pack and sold us just 2 boards.

jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 9:00 AM on Apr. 25, 2010

• Many people find that it doesn't hold up as well as hardwood, and while you may find hardwoods that were harvested locally (or at least regionally,) all the bamboo is shipped from Asia.
    Anonymous

• When we bought our house, we replaced all the flooring with bamboo except the bathrooms. We ordered it online and then my husband installed it. A couple of boxes were damaged when they arrived and the company sent replacements without any problems. My husband had never installed flooring before and while it isn't perfect, it looks really nice and better than some other places with wood floors that professionals have done (we're always checking out wood floors to compare - LOL). We like it a lot. My husband is really anal about things on the floor, though. He puts felt strips or some other type of protector on the bottoms of all furniture - even things that never get moved - and anything that gets moved but can't have felt strips on, like my daughter's exersaucer is on a small blanket or throw or a throw rug. Even the trash cans have some type of protection on the bottom. CONT.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 11:02 PM on Apr. 25, 2010

• My husband researched online about how to install the wood floor. He used nails and then some tool that I don't know the name of to put the nails in. This is the website we bought our flooring from:

http://www.builddirect.com/Bamboo-Flooring.aspx

Here is a picture of our living room after the flooring was put in
    http://christinatimsphotosite.shutterfly.com/71
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 11:10 PM on Apr. 25, 2010

• Wow
    thanks for all the info. I feel I am making the right choice, if others have been able to do it.
    And we have a Lumber liquidators here. I am going to buy it this week.
    whirlygirl

Answer by whirlygirl at 11:30 PM on Apr. 25, 2010

• Oh, one other thing. My husband ordered special wheels for our computer chairs. Ones that are specially made for wood floors. He put the wheels on his chair later than my chair and there is a slight worn look under his chair that isn't under mine. It's not super noticeable but you can see it when the sun is shining in the window.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 11:37 PM on Apr. 25, 2010