I Need Help Doing Grocery Shopping

HELLO: I always seem to run out of food and right now I am really low until Friday about to lose it for real I am a single mother of a 17 year old special needs child born with downe's syndrome I can no longer work and due to an sanction I no longer recieve food stamps or Tanf, right now I am starting to work on a 12 contact job search to hopefully get my food stamps back.

I was told to buy what I needed not what I wanted my daughter eats a lot I spend two hundred and something out of her check which I also pay bills she had an decrease in her check starting May first she was getting
$674.00 now will be $650.67 I need to know should I just make grocies for 2 weeks go back on spend that much all at one time.

I cannot drive and I get rides when I can to the grocery store and sometimes it is hard and I think think is why I try to get all at one time I do control my daughter eating so much thanks

blessed2877

Asked by blessed2877 at 8:39 AM on Apr. 25, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• My husband and I both work and we get no public assistance, yet it is still hard to stretch food out until the next pay check, especially when we fix our own lunches and our daughter's, but we manage and so can you. That having been said, you can buy foods that go a long way - large boxes of rice, soup, potatoes, cereal, pasta, etc. Make sure you clip coupons. Buy the Sunday newspaper that has all the coupons and clip, clip, clip. I save about $30 every two weeks just using coupons. Buy the store brand when you can - the products are almost the same and they cost much less.

If there is a Dollar Tree store near you, shop there for your household needs like laundry detergent and shampoo, soap, etc.

You're a big girl, now, and you can do this if I can.
    neebug3766

Answer by neebug3766 at 8:49 AM on Apr. 25, 2010

• "I was told to buy what I needed not what I wanted my daughter eats a lot "

Not to be disrespectful but: How come your daughter is not living in a Residential Program. Maybe she could get the help she deserves.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:55 AM on Apr. 25, 2010

• Spend wisely. Your fault you lost your FS and you need to fix that and don't make that mistake again. Yesterday i went grocery shopping and I bought 286.22 after they put all my coupons thur I spent 162.09 you figure it out.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:56 AM on Apr. 25, 2010

• Anons :56 if i don't have a coupon then i by store brand or we don't need it.

COUPONS, COUPONS, COUPONS USE THEM.......................
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:59 AM on Apr. 25, 2010

• Try to plan your meals out in advance so you know what you need. Also make sure you make a list of the things you need. Make sure to clip the coupons and use as many as you can. Buy in bulk on the things that you use a lot. I know it can be hard but it is possible. I spend on average $110/wk food for my family of 5. It's possible if you just plan ahead.
    Juggalette0327

Answer by Juggalette0327 at 9:23 AM on Apr. 25, 2010

• Anon: living in a residential program does not cure all the ills. Some areas do not have them others programs are useless and corrupt. She sounds like she is doing the best she can.

I agree on taking the time to learn to use coupons. As far as I can tell, the true use of coupons is an art!!! You have to learn how to do it right and be good at it.

I have heard of people buying hundreds of dollars of groceries for 20 or 30 dollars....I personally dont understand this, but it is possible ;)

Hope this gets easier for you ;)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:36 AM on Apr. 25, 2010

• If your grocery store doubles or triples coupons, you can get a lot of things for free or just pennies. If you have an item that costs 1.50 and you have a coupon for 60 cents, if it is doubled, you pay only 30 cents, if it is tripled you get it free AND gained an extra 30 cents. You have to watch the grocery stores flyers for specials and then find coupons that will make the price even less or free. It really is not difficult. Just keep a weekly folder of coupons and match them to the sales. There is a web site that will do all this for you, but they charge for the service - grocerygame.com. Why pay someone when you can do it yourself, but if you don't have the time or organizational skills, go for it!
    neebug3766

Answer by neebug3766 at 9:47 AM on Apr. 25, 2010

• I would tell you to buy things like beans, rice chicken, speghetti, things that you can make big meals out of. Then what is left over just freeze for a later meal. But you are going to have to shop more for survival than anything else.h
    my2kids312

Answer by my2kids312 at 10:14 AM on Apr. 25, 2010

• First of all, I just want to say to you, I'm sorry the moms on here can be such bitches! Damn they are harsh! Sounds like you ARE doing the best you can! I agree with all the above about getting foods in large amounts for cheaper, foods that will last a long time and not spoil, ect. Sounds like it may help if you are more disciplined with your daughter about what, or how much, she eats. She will not starve if you only allow her 3 meals and 2 small snacks. Also, exercise curbs the appetite, start taking a 20 minute walk with her each day- just walk 10 minutes then turn around. easy. Have her start drinking at least 8 glasses of water a day. Remember even if she throws a fit, IT'S GOOD FOR HER! Lastly, if you really cannot obtain enough food, you can visit or call any Mormon Church nearby and they will help... just ask if they have a food bank and explain your situation.
    AlleyK

Answer by AlleyK at 10:18 AM on Apr. 25, 2010

• I meant to add, lots of times people think they are hungry when they are really thirsty, and drinking water helps you lose weight. If she drinks a glass before each meal, she won't be as hungry and will only eat what she NEEDS.
    AlleyK

Answer by AlleyK at 10:20 AM on Apr. 25, 2010