Pain Under Breasts

I have been getting a strong pain, like pressure, right underneath my breasts. i'm sorry, i am not good at exactly what bones are what, but the pain/discomfort is literally on the bone crossing underneath them. i'm not so worried, but curious as to what this may be. i'm not worried because, i only get the pain when i am not wearing a bra to bed at night. this has happened recently. i usually wear a sports bra or something, because i don't like the feeling of them just hanging there, but occasionally i don't wear a bra at all, and up until this week that hasn't mattered. but this week, it's hurting there when i don't wear a bra and when i put a bra on the pain/discomfort lessens. i put my bra on at 3 this morning, and the pain automatically lessened, but even now at 9 is still there. i went to bed the night before with my regular bra on, to see, and no pain at all.

sleepymamaof3

Asked by sleepymamaof3 at 9:14 AM on Apr. 25, 2010 in Health

• Your breasts are the fatty tissue of the Pectarolis (chest) or "Pecs" muscles which cover and via tendons attatch to the the rib (bones) cage. If you are "curvy" that excess weight pulling on your pectoralis muscles IS going to cause pain. Supporting that extra weight with the use of a bra is going to alleviate the strain by "suspending" the extra weight.

The best way to alleviate this pain is to try and lose weight (breasts are comprised of fatty tissue, and will get smaller as you lose weight). As your breasts get smaller, there will be less stress placed on the Pectoralis muscles. You should also work to strengthen your Pectoralis muscles--with simple weight bearing exercises, and stretches.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 9:38 AM on Apr. 25, 2010

• Forgot to add that if you're breast feeding, there is A LOT of additional weight from breastmilk that will add to the weight of your breasts. When you finally stop breastfeeding that alone will help alleviate the pain. In the meantime, you should be strengthening this area, so they'll be able to return to their pre pregnancy/breastfeeding state!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 9:41 AM on Apr. 25, 2010

• It could be muscular. If it persists, see your doctor.
    neebug3766

Answer by neebug3766 at 9:41 AM on Apr. 25, 2010

• From what you describe it sounds like your breasts are pulling down on a muscle or something and causing pain...the bra alleviates that pulling down, thus getting rid of the pain for you.

You didnt say, but do you have very large breasts or are you breast feeding? If so, I say this could defiantly be the issue.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:52 AM on Apr. 25, 2010

• oh yeah, no i am not breastfeeding and i wear a 36c bra. i am roughly 5'2" and weigh 138lbs. i am still trying to lose baby weight - my son is 9 months old - but i am only 3 lbs over my usual weight.
    sleepymamaof3

Answer by sleepymamaof3 at 9:57 AM on Apr. 25, 2010