What can I do about continous ear infections?

My daughter is 17 months old and it seems like every time she starts getting a tooth in she gets an ear infection. Is there anything I can do to fight this? I am so tired of her hurting...it hurts me too! She has a well checkup on Tuesday, but I am seriously considering calling her doctor tomorrow morning!-[

flyfaye

Asked by flyfaye at 10:06 AM on Apr. 25, 2010 in Health

• After they are 1 they can have tubes put in... it's a lifesaver. I had to have it done with my little one! Ask the doctor about it!
    AlleyK

Answer by AlleyK at 10:08 AM on Apr. 25, 2010

• I like the idea of tubes, too, but they generally have to have "x" number of ear infections in "x" months to qualify for them, depending on the doc and the insurance.

Other things you can try to prevent: NEVER give anything to drink in bed, keeping the head of her mattress raised a little with a wedge, to prevent fluid build up in the ears when she is teething or has a cold, give MORE fluids when you think she has a cold, to keep the sinuses open/flowing, use a humidifier and ask the doc about any decongestant (even the natural or homeopathic ones) to use when she has any sniffles.
    Good luck!
    kjrn79

Answer by kjrn79 at 10:15 AM on Apr. 25, 2010

• My son had ear infections constantly for almost a full year, and we had tubes put in him, just the once set, and he hasn't had one since.
    angeleyes0306

Answer by angeleyes0306 at 11:13 AM on Apr. 25, 2010

• Eliminate dairy

Answer by rkoloms at 7:08 PM on Apr. 25, 2010