Baby at 36 weeks?

Due to blood pressure issues, my doc has mentioned having this baby around 36 weeks. I'm not concerned about size (both of my babies have been big, so I'm betting this one would be 6.5-7lbs at 36w). I'm scared about her ability to breathe. (37 weeks doesn't scare me, but 36 does).

Anyone have or know babies born at 36w? Was there a NICU stay? Did baby go home with mom? Anything else I need to know when talking to my doc?

IrishMommaC

Asked by IrishMommaC at 10:09 AM on Apr. 25, 2010 in Pregnancy

• very often 36 weekers do fine. I'm assuming your doc has done tests that will let them think the baby is in good enough shape to do well. They REALLY HAVE TO measure how you are (B/P wise) against how the baby is. If you have complications from the high blood pressure, the blood flow to the baby is going to decrease and they don't want that with a larger (later term) baby. So, it's a tight-rope, but if it was me, I'd do it.
    I hope people who have had 36 weekers respond. Good luck!!!
    kjrn79

Answer by kjrn79 at 10:18 AM on Apr. 25, 2010

• isnt it that once you hit 36 weeks your considered full term? and its safe to have baby anytime between 36w-40 ? thats what i thought...when i hit 36w my doc told me if i had baby anytime soon it would be fine...then again i dont have any complications in my pregnancy so idk....anyways good luck to you!
    momOF2Girls0710

Answer by momOF2Girls0710 at 10:24 AM on Apr. 25, 2010

• 36 weeks is only 1 week before what's considered full term. Your baby should do just fine. If for some reason she would have some breathing problems, they would probably be pretty mild & easy to deal with. Don't worry! My last baby was born at 23 weeks & started breathing on her own the next day. She was kept on the vent a week longer just because she was so small (1 1/2 lbs) & it was a great effort for her to breath. Best wishes to you!

BlessedMommy64

Answer by BlessedMommy64 at 10:58 AM on Apr. 25, 2010

• My daughter was born at 36 weeks, and the doctors were worried that her lung function wouldn't be up to speed because of it. She was lucky to be born very healthy, but she's had other problems since with being behind in her verbal skills (she's 3 now).

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:05 AM on Apr. 25, 2010

• I had my girl at 36 weeks and she never had a single problem.. she went home the next day
    miss_nevin

Answer by miss_nevin at 12:26 PM on Apr. 25, 2010

• I was induced at 36 weeks with my youngest. I had an amnio first to make sure his lungs were ok. He was tiny but healthy and we went home the day after he was born.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 1:27 PM on Apr. 25, 2010

• My son was born at exactly 37 weeks and was perfect! I have known a few babies born at 36wks who were fine and some born at 40 wks who had problems, soooo you will prob be fine! Good luck!
    KaRaBaSsEtT

Answer by KaRaBaSsEtT at 1:55 PM on Apr. 25, 2010

• I had my first daughter at 36 weeks to the day.. She was fine and had no problems. She was with me from the minute they cleaned her off. I was scared too but my doctor always said 36 and  up was ok. They just like for you to be further. Hope this helps.

Lovemygirls23

Answer by Lovemygirls23 at 2:03 PM on Apr. 25, 2010

• quite often babies at 34 weeks do just fine. my ob just told me they consider 37 weeks full term, i always thought it was 38. i had a 32 week old preemie. he stayed in the hospital 26 days. his weight was fine from the start, but they were concerned with his breathing. most doctors will not stop labor after 34 weeks. i think you will be fine :) try not to worry about it! if it is the best thing for your health, then it is the best thing for your entire family!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 2:53 PM on Apr. 25, 2010

• I've been having babies for 22 rs. and it was always 36 weeks was full term until about 6 yrs. ago, then all of a sudden it was 37 wks. Honestly, I think that the change is all about numbers and hospitals can brag about more preemies surviving. It's all about money. I had my first at 35 weeks, she was 4lbs. even but healthy as a horse. They did do the amnio the night before to make sure her lungs were good. I had a c-section for her (pre-eclampsia...called toxemia back then). I stayed fror another week and she stayed for a week after that. She started growing after I left the hospital and they changed my BP meds so I could nurse.
    Then I had another c-section 2 yrs. later at 37 wks. (considered full term). And since then I have had 9 (count them) 9 VBAC's which are considered high risk. Baby #6 was born at 37wks after 5 weeks on brethine and bed rest. she was considered full term and had no complications.
    sparky1

Answer by sparky1 at 8:39 PM on Apr. 26, 2010