Sexual Assault

April is Sexual Assault Awareness month so I am spreading the news.

#18 Victims of sexual assault are 3 times more likely to suffer from depression.

#19 Victims of sexual assault are 6 times more likely to suffer from post-traumatic stress disorder.

#20 Victims of sexual assault are 13 times more likely to abuse alcohol.

#21 Victims of sexual assault are 26 times more likely to abuse drugs.

#22 Victims of sexual assault are 4 times more likely to contemplate suicide.

#23 In 2004-2005, 64,080 women were raped. According to medical reports, the incidence of pregnancy for one-time unprotected sexual intercourse is 5%. By applying the pregnancy rate to 64,080 women, RAINN estimates that there were 3,204 pregnancies as a result of rape during that period.

#24 Every 2 minutes, someone in the U.S. is sexually assaulted.

So why do we let this crime be one that remains in the dark and is rar

purpleducky

Asked by purpleducky at 10:11 AM on Apr. 25, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• And if you would like to help RAINN (Rape, Abuse, & Incest National Network), just let me know. I am running a fundraiser and all profits are going to RAINN. All the information above comes from RAINN's website.

purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 10:12 AM on Apr. 25, 2010

• We have donated to rainn. Thanks for making people aware.
    armywife2009101

Answer by armywife2009101 at 10:39 AM on Apr. 25, 2010

• I'll be glad when April is over and you'll stop posting these things.
    SaraP1989

Answer by SaraP1989 at 10:52 AM on Apr. 25, 2010

• Ill be glad when people realize that they don't have to respond to questions that irritate them......
    armywife2009101

Answer by armywife2009101 at 10:54 AM on Apr. 25, 2010

• Sara - What is wrong with trying to raise awareness?
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 11:56 AM on Apr. 25, 2010

• So are you for it or against it?
    Anonymous

• I had no idea and now I know and will help raise awareness!!!
    delilahsmom1177

Answer by delilahsmom1177 at 3:23 PM on Apr. 25, 2010

• Actually no. I tell victims like it is. Some asshole decided to violate you and all you can do it pick up the pieces and move on. It's really not that hard.
    SaraP1989

Answer by SaraP1989 at 8:09 PM on Apr. 25, 2010

• Hi Everyone,

We've removed several answers from this question, and wanted to explain why.

We'd like Answers to be a place where everyone feels comfortable asking and answering questions. Ideally, when a mom posts a question in Answers, she'll get responses from other moms that address the question she's asking.

While debates around hot topics are welcomed and encouraged, personal attacks are not. We want everyone to feel comfortable debating their point of view about any topic without being personally attacked for their beliefs.

With that in mind, we have removed several answers from this question because they were personally attacking other members instead of discussing the original post.

//The CafeMom Admin Team

CafeMom Admin

Answer by CafeMom Admin at 8:10 PM on Apr. 25, 2010

• Well I am glad you can sleep so soundly at night but not everyone can. It is not something you just move on from. It takes years for most. So you need to be considerate of that. And no one should be a victim to begin with let alone deal with never getting justice. This is why we need to raise awareness.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 8:11 PM on Apr. 25, 2010