Potty Issues.

My 2.5 year old has been potty trained since Jan. She did really well the first few months and was even holding it all night last month). In the last few weeks she has been having increasingly more accidents, and I have put a pull up on her at night. I have tried yelling, bribing, and letting her pick out her undies. I am nearly back to making her try to go every few hours when she was just getting it all done all by herself last month. When we are out in public she does just fine, her accidents are almost exclusivly at home. I know I and her older sister are stressed about Daddy not coming home on time (military) but how can I help her to go back to using the potty agian.

DevilInPigtails

Asked by DevilInPigtails at 10:43 AM on Apr. 25, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• We had a few of these regressions... Honestly, I think we tried it all and I think it just stopped as abruptly as it started, so I can't be sure what worked. Just know that it's normal. If her accidents are just at home, then I would suggest trying a couple of things -
    1. Take away the thing she was playing with/the dvd she was watching/ the snack she was eating ... that made her too busy to stop and go to the potty. Take that thing away until she can have a set number of days without messes (you could try one day at first if the accidents are still frequent).
    2. Have her clean up her own mess, including taking her wet clothes to the laundry, etc. Even if she's not one of those girls who will be deterred by the "yucky" factor, she will soon realize that it's more work and more time away from whatever she's doing if she has an accident than if she just stops to use the potty.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 11:28 AM on Apr. 25, 2010

• I found a wonderful book called Once Upon a Potty and every time I went to the bathroom, I took my daughter, sat her on her own potty and read this book to her. She loved it and eventually got to the point that she knew when she had to go. The book stayed in the bathroom, so she could look at it when she was in there by herself. It was a fun thing, so she responded well.
    neebug3766

Answer by neebug3766 at 10:52 AM on Apr. 25, 2010

• Any large book store (Borders, Barnes & Noble, etc.) should carry it. There is a boy's version and a girl's version. Tell her that you have something special for her and make it something fun that she looks forward to (I did silly voices too). It also took the stress and emphasis off of having to do her business and it all just happened naturally while I was reading to her. Whenever she actually went in her potty, I made a big deal over it and told her how proud of her I was.
    neebug3766

Answer by neebug3766 at 10:56 AM on Apr. 25, 2010