How do you prepare your oatmeal? What seasonings and spices do you add?

I'm on a budget so I' m trying to stretch my dollars. I want to buy the big box of unseasoned oatmeal since it costs less than the packets of instant oatmeal. But I need some ideas of how to add some variety.

benjamink

Asked by benjamink at 11:00 AM on Apr. 25, 2010 in Food & Drink

• brown sugar and cinnamon, fruit (blueberries, bananas, strawberries, peaches), maple syrup... oatmeal is so bland anything you add makes it taste better. I use milk instead of water for a bit of calcium, and more flavor also.
    Annabel1809Lee

Answer by Annabel1809Lee at 11:32 AM on Apr. 25, 2010

• I put brown sugar, butter, and a little pumpkin pie spice in it. Our boys love it like that.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 11:34 AM on Apr. 25, 2010

• sugar, butter, nutmeg, cinnamon....raisins, milk ect.
    my2kids312

Answer by my2kids312 at 11:43 AM on Apr. 25, 2010

• I like a touch of salt, butter, brown sugar and maple syrup added. Just a little, not enough to make it too sweet, too buttery or too salty. Then top it off with some toasted toasted walnuts. Yum!
    NikkiMomof2grls

Answer by NikkiMomof2grls at 1:10 PM on Apr. 25, 2010

• That should be toasted walnuts...not toasted toasted walnuts. LOL. Distractions....
    NikkiMomof2grls

• My favorite is a big spoonful of peanut butter added with a bit of brown sugar and milk. I also top it with blueberries or strawberries & honey, or chopped apple, honey, & cinnamon or nutmeg, or cook raisins in it and add cinnamon and brown sugar, or a spoonful of canned pumpkin, brown sugar, and pumpkin pie spice. My daughter enjoys hers with a spoonful of jam stirred in. We'll sometimes even eat it without cooking it, just add chopped dried fruit, some cinnamon, and honey. It's like granola that way.
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 1:30 PM on Apr. 25, 2010

• I put in honey, cinnamon, dried cranberries and pecans.

Answer by rkoloms at 7:07 PM on Apr. 25, 2010

• My favorite is oatmeal cooked over the stove in whole milk. I add cinnamon, nutmeg, a tiny bit of ginger, dried cranberries, chopped walnuts, and sugar if desired. Sometimes I make it with bananas and apples.
    Mousuke

Answer by Mousuke at 9:30 PM on Apr. 25, 2010

• Our fave is baked apple oatmeal, you can make a batch and you're set for a few days worth of breakfasts. Recipe below, along with baked nectarine cranberry and pumpkin pie oatmeal.

http://spaininiowa.blogspot.com/2009/05/baked-apple-cinnamon-oatmeal.html
    toola

Answer by toola at 10:52 PM on Apr. 25, 2010

• I'm trying to keep mine lo-cal, so I don't add sugar or butter, but I add cinnamon, vanilla, and golden raisins, and serve it with low fat milk. I love it!!
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 11:22 PM on Apr. 25, 2010