Does anyone have a child that on Prozac for social disorders?

My child is 8 yo and his doctor wants to put him on Prozac for social disorder. I just wanted to know if anyone else has done this and if it has helped your child. I am just a little apprehensive because of his age.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:21 AM on Apr. 25, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I liked Prozac back in the day myself but I was an adult. For children, I worry they can't explain to you if they are having a problem with the meds

Answer by admckenzie at 11:27 AM on Apr. 25, 2010

• I don't think Prozac is safe for kids under 18, but I could be wrong. Prozac is known to cause suicidal thoughts in kids under 18. Prozac, to my knowledge, is not used for social disroders. Is this doctor a pyschiatrist or his pediatrician? I would research Prozac, talk to a pharmacist (they are an amazing source about any meds), get a second opinion, because Prozac is a very strong med that needs help to get off of. Personally, I would NOT put my child on Prozac, especially at 8 years old. I am taking Psychopharmacology and am learning a lot about many types of meds, including prescription drugs and I question any meds that are prescribed for my son or me. Even OTC meds can be horrible for the body.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 12:11 PM on Apr. 25, 2010

• Run as fast as you can and get a second opinion. I think 8 is too young for that I would get him into play therapy and work out some of the issues that may be causing the problems for him. Prozac works best with people who can articulate their problems. Run from the doctor and get a second opinion.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 6:21 PM on Apr. 25, 2010