The begining of immigration reform for all of us?

Two U.S. senators prominent in immigration reform efforts have proposed that all Americans be issued biometric Social Security cards, containing data from either a fingerprint or retinal scan to help employers determine whether the holder is legal.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:34 AM on Apr. 25, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Okay....I thought that's what the universal ID card was that they're going to issue in 2011 or 12. What does that mean for those who are illegal, but trying to become legal?
    Imogine

Answer by Imogine at 11:44 AM on Apr. 25, 2010

• Papers ....

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 11:47 AM on Apr. 25, 2010

• Wow! So they are going to give EVERY employer the equipment to read these cards. Oh wait, nothing is free. I guess the employer will be required to purchase one from an authorized distributor.

We don't need this very expensive proposition. As an employer I use check my own employees. Our Sheriff's Dept offers a pretty thorough check (same one the school uses for employees/volunteers) for $15.00. It only takes the Deputy a few minutes to run and puts a few bucks in their budget. This is a win/win as far as I am concerned.

Beyond that I think employers found hiring illegals should be heavily fined and repeat offenders jailed..they are after all aiding/abetting AND harboring a criminal.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 11:56 AM on Apr. 25, 2010

• They kind of have that in NY. The NYS DSS office have a fingerprint thing to punch in and out. I think it is a bit too far.
    delilahsmom1177

Answer by delilahsmom1177 at 3:51 PM on Apr. 25, 2010

• Nope, don't have anything good to say about that type of thing. Fingerprint & retinal scan are fine for very very high security needs, but other than that, no.
    29again

Answer by 29again at 7:30 PM on Apr. 25, 2010

• No-
    Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 7:52 PM on Apr. 25, 2010

• Oh nice. Yet another requirement just to live here. Ummm no.
    sopranomommy

Answer by sopranomommy at 10:01 PM on Apr. 25, 2010