Why do doctors wait until the 24th or 28th week to do a glucose test? How can gestational diabetes effect my unborn baby?

rkwirant

Asked by rkwirant at 12:31 PM on Apr. 25, 2010 in Pregnancy

• google gestational diabetes and it will give you al lthe answers you need. I am diabetic so I know quite a bit, too much to fit here tho. but in short, it can cause many issues if not controlled,. if its controlled you are fine and no your baby is not born diabetic. once you and the baby have cut the cord between you, your child is independant to control his or hers own sugars. google"gestational diabetes and effects on the baby".
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 12:35 PM on Apr. 25, 2010

• Many times, gestational diabetes doesn't develop until later in the pregnancy, which is why they don't routinely test for it earlier (because for most women it wouldn't be a problem early in pregnancy). I had GD with previous pregnancies, so they tested me at 20 weeks - and if you've had GD previously, the drs should test early. If it's controlled, with diet or medication, then it poses very little risk to mother or baby. If not controlled, it can cause problems - but your dr should be able to help you control it by sending you to a specialist in GD (I'm seeing a perinatologist and a nutritionist).

Answer by missanc at 12:49 PM on Apr. 25, 2010