Eating trouble for 4yr old

My daughter is almost 4 years old and when it comes time to eat she will tell you she is hungry also its something she likes...and sometiems it will be her favorite meals and it takes her forever to eat...like 2 hrs sometimes for just a small portion...she wants to play and make a mess and then she chews and chews it forver or she will just sit there adn not eat....then i tell her to eat or get down and then she starts to cry and then she abo0ut chokes....HELP.......PLEASE!!!...Thanks!!

jess_angelica

Asked by jess_angelica at 12:33 PM on Apr. 25, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I had this problem with my daughter too. I pulled her toddler chair back out and started to buckle her in so she would eat. If she wanted to play and not eat I took her down and told her if she was hungry later she could eat what she left or she would get nothing else. Now she eats fine. I also find that when she says she's done I'll tell her she needs to take 3 more big girl bites and drink her milk and then she can get down. It works.
    hornz102485

Answer by hornz102485 at 12:36 PM on Apr. 25, 2010

• sounds like someone is leqarning how to use power lol. this is normal as she wants to have some say in her surroundings and this is one way yanno? so loet her sit for 2 hours, do other stuff, go about your day, let her see you will "have a life" and do fun things while she dawdles. dont let her see you getting stressed because then thats a game. it is a phase mama so hang in there and try your best not to react.orrrrr...lol you can use a timer and teach her she has X amount of time(lets say half hour) in which to eat, then all done. then after timer goes off, she is done, crying and screaming or not, until next time to eat. me? I would try the first lol.
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 12:38 PM on Apr. 25, 2010

• We used to have to set a timer for DS. He has 30 min to eat his meal. When the time is up the food goes away. We try again at the next meal.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 12:38 PM on Apr. 25, 2010

• We have tried the whole eating what she has later..or nothing at all...lol....and tried the eat 3 more big girl bites as well...it dont work for her...and i realize she is making this a game...lol....tried the timer thing as well and that dont work...so i am going to try the go off and do whatever and when she thinks she is done at lunch thats what her supper will be if she dont eat it all...
    jess_angelica

Answer by jess_angelica at 12:43 PM on Apr. 25, 2010