Help with Sleep

My baby is 8 mo and it seems like as she gets older it's harder for her to fall asleep and stay asleep. We try to put her to bed by 8 or 8:30, then she'll wake up an hour later. Then sometimes she'll wake up at 3 or 4 a.m. We always have to hold her to get her to sleep and sometimes it takes up to a half hour for her to fall asleep. If we try to just set her in her bed when she's sleepy, she gets restless and starts crying. Also, when she wakes up in the middle of the night we try to wait it out but she is unable to put herself back to sleep. Please advise.

lala9

Asked by lala9 at 12:57 PM on Apr. 25, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• i cant put my son to bed before 10:30, if he falls asleep for the night before 10:30, hes going to wake up. i give a bath & lotion with johnson & johnson help baby sleep better soap & lotion and a nice bottle, let him play and watch tv alittle bit and then usually i have to rock him to sleep around 11 or so. i cant just lay him in bed & he goes to sleep either. he sleeps until atleast 9 usually.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 1:00 PM on Apr. 25, 2010

• it's just going to take time. try not picking her up when she's fussy and patting her back for a few minutes, if it doesn't work, then pick her up until she's calm and then put her back down.
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 1:10 PM on Apr. 25, 2010

• are you feeding her when she wakes up? i remember my son waking up hungry once a night at that time. whats the nap schedule? we were at two naps a day at that time. i honestly cant tell you a quick fix without knowing what going on the rest of the day. evaluate the eating and sleeping. see if anything can change that would make it easier and more willing for her to go to sleep.
    m4m4

Answer by m4m4 at 1:32 PM on Apr. 25, 2010

• She usually takes two naps a day each for an hour, or one longer nap for two hours. I don't feed her in the middle of the night but I do feed her pretty early usually. Around 6 am before I go to work.
    lala9

Answer by lala9 at 4:53 PM on Apr. 25, 2010