Is it Faith that is taught, or really obedience?

I've heard many people say that their faith in their god is "taught" to their children. How do you teach "faith" in a god? Doesn't one's faith reside within your heart?
If so, then isn't it really obedience you are teaching?

sahmamax2

Asked by sahmamax2 at 1:44 PM on Apr. 25, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• Taking my kids to church and asking them to pray is just as much teaching obedience as taking them to school and demanding they do homework. The only difference is if the homework doesn't get done there will be a punishment, if they daydream during church there is no consequence.

Faith is faith teaching about God is knowledge. There is a difference and teaching my children about God, the bible and why there are certain beliefs isn't obedience anymore than teaching about evolution is obedience being taught
    Anonymous

• Faith is explained... its a matter of the heart to believe.
    Obedience is when we choose to have faith then we will be able to obey and walk in that faith.

Hope I am making sense :-)
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 2:18 PM on Apr. 25, 2010

• Obedience.

Anonymous

• You can't that's why I don't it's more of a scare tactic in my opinion.
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 4:22 PM on Apr. 25, 2010

• Well as a seventh day adventist obedience is more important then faith. Because we are NOT allowed to feel saved, read the works of Ellen G White. Even though I don't understand why we can't wear makeup or jewellery or have a beer, I do it because of fear of making God mad. So I do not feel saved, I actually envy those free christians who allow themselves that luxury. But it's all a lie... But even though I was raised in the truth I don't know it. Sorry I was trying to answer the question but just got on rambling.
    Anonymous

• it depends on the teacher...
    bestmommyeber

Answer by bestmommyeber at 4:39 PM on Apr. 25, 2010

• Faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the Word of God. Faith itself cant really be taught. Faith is belief in that which has not been seen. However, teaching by example and teaching the Word to a child (or anyone else) helps nurture faith and let it grow. I dont see electricity but I have faith that it is present because I see its effects -- without it I wouldnt be able to use my laptop and do hundreds of other things. I cant "see" God and I've never met Jesus face to face but I see the creation, I see the innocence of my son. I've read and heard that God sent his Son to die for me (us). That is so awesome to me! I am so not worthy and yet Jesus, who here on earth was powerful enough to come off the cross if he wanted, yet human so that he was tempted (and resisted!) and felt the anguish while he was suffering. All so that we who believe and accept that gift, might live. How humbling that is! We have the choice.
    duckigrrl

Answer by duckigrrl at 5:15 PM on Apr. 25, 2010

• All so that we who believe and accept that gift, might live. How humbling that is! We have the choice.

But you are still a sinner. So wasn't his death a moot point?
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 5:40 PM on Apr. 25, 2010

• No, it does not make His death a moot point. If I rejected his gift, maybe so. I'm still going to mess up even though I have repented and been baptized (immersed) into Christ. Being a Christian doesnt mean being perfect. Neither does it mean I've done all that's required of me so I can live as I please now. I choose to pattern my life after Jesus, knowing I'm going to stumble and He will be there to pick me up. I am still a sinner, correct. I'm a forgiven sinner.
    duckigrrl

Answer by duckigrrl at 6:02 PM on Apr. 25, 2010

• Well as a seventh day adventist obedience is more important then faith
    ---------------
    If you believe this you misunderstand SDAism. Adventism teaches that faith begats obedience. Obedience is nothing without faith.

OP, faith is only taught by example. Our kids watch how we live more than they listen to what we say. We can teach our children the law, the prophets, the Way, but faith they will have to build for themselves.
    Lexylex

Answer by Lexylex at 6:12 PM on Apr. 25, 2010