how do i get my two yr. old to play in her room alone?

my daughter rather hang around me n my husband all day long, then play by herself. she likes to be independent as far as feeding herself, puting her socks n shoes on by herself ect , but when it comes to playing in her room alone, she just don't want to. even if we are in the next room n the doors are open. any ideas on how to get her to play with her toys in her room alone?

Ladii-Rivera

Asked by Ladii-Rivera at 1:46 PM on Apr. 25, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Its a process that can start with you doing some of your activities and spending time in her room with her. Lets say you have some paperwork to do or scrapbooking, any kind of activity you are doing yourself. Be in her room and have her play in her room doing her thing. Start leaving the room, but returning. Then slowly spend more time away. It will help her understand she can have fun with her things in there and it isn't a stark separation. They go through separation anxiety several times from infancy to preschool. She just needs to associate her room with fun. It could be she is seeing that you have someone with you and she doesn't want to be alone either. Good Luck!
    Lifes-A-Dance

Answer by Lifes-A-Dance at 1:51 PM on Apr. 25, 2010

• Really? Kids' don't play alone at that age. We are pack creatures and that's just how it is. Kids don't like to be alone...and unless they have someone to play with, they are not going to get away from you. My 4 and 5 year old play upstairs now...but it's hard to get my 2 year old to go up with them. It's best to just wait acouple of years before trying to "push" her away. I know that's not what you're doing...but that is how she is going to see it. At that age they think that if you want them to leave you alone...that you don't love them. Just try to take it slow, before you know it she'll be off doing her own thing
    GotToHaveFaith

Answer by GotToHaveFaith at 2:00 PM on Apr. 25, 2010

• I've done daycare for 25 years and children age two will play by themselves. But then, you can teach them to be independent and learn to play. I agree with the first post. You can be gentle in the way you do it, but some children just don't know how to play independently and need to learn how. 3 and 4 year olds definitely can play independently, as they get older their social skills will develop and they learn to co-play cohesively.
    Anonymous

• Um, HELLO she is two. What the heck do you expect? She's not a dog or a pet Sweetie Pie. She's a child. She is doing what every other child does at her age. Do you need some parenting help?
    Anonymous

• slowly introduce her to it start by placing some toys on a blanket & telling her she can only play on the blanket for 5 min, once she can do 5 min have her do 10min after she used to that tell her she's big enough to play in her room alone. this may take patience & she may not be ready for her room until older. make this play time a must, but also fun.
    maiahlynn

Answer by maiahlynn at 2:11 PM on Apr. 25, 2010

• Find her a friend to play with. She just doesn't like playing by herself.
    Imogine

Answer by Imogine at 2:28 PM on Apr. 25, 2010

• Huh?My child has been playing by herself since she was 1 and a half...I didnt know 2 years olds couldnt play alone! ;P
    I got my daughter a Rose Petal cottage and play kitchen.She stays upstairs all the time.I never hear from her lol
    ryanlynn

Answer by ryanlynn at 2:36 PM on Apr. 25, 2010

• A toddler should not be left alone for long periods of time. Sit at opposite ends of a room just for elbow room. If having a small child near you is something you can't handle then you should not have had kids. She needs to be a little older.
    Most folks here are giving you helpful advice but this one is tough but funny.:
    "#
    # Answered at 2:09 PM on Apr. 25, 2010 by: Anonymous
    Anonymous
    Um, HELLO she is two. What the heck do you expect? She's not a dog or a pet Sweetie Pie. She's a child. She is doing what every other child does at her age. Do you need some parenting help? "
    Anonymous

• I know that I would never wanted any of my kids to be in their room alone at that age. It would have a been a recipe for disaster and a lot of clean up for mommy. Your presence comforts her and I would take it as a good thing.

Every child has a time that they want to be alone and be with mom and dad. I would take the wanting to be with me because they grow up too quickly. Next thing you know they don't want you anywhere near their school or heaven forbid, their classroom.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 6:29 PM on Apr. 25, 2010

• Not knowing the layout of your house, this is tough. My son has always been good about playing by himself by his toys are in the family room where we spend most of our time. I'd never leave him up in his room by himself (on another floor).. I'd work on getting her to play by herself int he same room as you first then decide if it's really important to play in her room...
    Anonymous