Pelican and symbolisim to Christ?

I read about this in the church buletin but can't remmber the connection. Anyone able to help me out?

I know some Catholic Churches have pelican as part of the art work

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:47 PM on Apr. 25, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• See full size image

You mean this critter? 

Anonymous

• preacherskid

Answer by preacherskid at 3:52 PM on Apr. 25, 2010

• ugh, please just post what the links say!! I am curious about the question but dang I am one lazy honey when it comes to social boards.
    Anonymous

• Pelican: The Pelican is a symbol of the atonement and the Redeemer and is often found in Christian murals, frescos, paintings and stained glass. The pelican was believed to wound itself in order to feed its young with its own blood. In the hymn "Adoro Te," St. Thomas Aquinas addresses the Savior with, "Pelican of Mercy, cleanse me in Thy Precious Blood." Allusion is even made to this belief in "Hamlet" (act iv): "To his good friend thus wide I'll ope my arms And, like the kind, life-rendering pelican, Repast them with my blood." (Source)

eringobrough

Answer by eringobrough at 4:15 PM on Apr. 25, 2010