Every time I quit smoking I get severe depression. What gives?! Why am I like this?

The first time I quit smoking I was 16, and I got SO depressed I almost dropped out of high school. I just dealt with it for months and finally I took medication but it didn't seem to help until I started smoking again 4 months later. Similar happened when I was 19 and I actually dropped out of college due to the depression and as soon as I smoked again and wasn't so depressed, I finished my degree.

Then I got pregnant at 22 and quit again. I got severely depressed. I was taking antidepressants and therapy after 5th month pregnancy but I ended up hospitalized twice because I wasn't eating or waking much. This time was also different because I did not do any nicotine replacement. I started smoking again when my son was a month old (outside, wash hands) and my depression mysteriously lifted by a HUGE margin.

How do I quit smoking or nicotine if every time I quit, I end up so depressed I can't function even on antideps??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:19 PM on Apr. 25, 2010 in Health

• I think you need to find some other nervous habbit to replace the smoking? maybe. Like gum chewing or something? There is nothing in the ciggie that causes you to be happy... but it could be you have an anxiety disorder and smoking helps to calm you.

I would talk to your doctor about it. They're really good at coming up with plans to help people quit smoking. Even if you wash your hands, unless you change your clothes and shower before picking up your son, you're still giving him some of what you're smoking. It'd prolly be better for the both of you if you quit (but you never know with this case of getting severely depressed lol)

My MIL was actually told by a doctor to start smoking (she's old) because of her severe anxiety. But I'm sure there are other ways to calm oneself.
    Anonymous

• i have found gum chewing and cleaning the house great substitutes when i have the urge! by the time i'm done chewing the gum I dont have the urge anymore. sometimes i have tried smoking but it didnt taste good so i just put it out. and the time it took me to smoke, I spent cleaning the house, or crocheting and I got better things accomplished lol
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 2:40 PM on Apr. 25, 2010

• maybe you need to see a shrink. i use that term because i can't spell the proper word. you're addiction might be more than physical. it could be you strongly emotionally associate the smoking with something. a hypmotist might be able to find out quickly what you associate smoking with but becareful. bring someone you trust wih.
    Anonymous

• How young were you when you started? Perhaps you were young enough to interfere with your development?

It would be best to find out why, but in the meantime I would discuss long term nicotine "therapy" with your doctor. Sometimes you have to go with the lesser evil.
    happytexasCM

Answer by happytexasCM at 8:16 PM on Apr. 25, 2010