Getting into clerical work?

I just took an online career test to see what I would be good at. And it said 99% clerical work. So my question is for people that already work in this field. Is there any courses I should take? Is it alright pay? I'm not looking to get rich. I want something that I can do to get out of the house. Well after my children are in school. Which won't be for another 4 to 5 years. But if I could get any courses in before its time for me to get a job would be great! Don't get me wrong, I love being a stay at home mom. I just know that I want something new and different once they are both in school. Thanks!!!

DAH02

Asked by DAH02 at 2:50 PM on Apr. 25, 2010 in Money & Work

• Clerical work is a very broad term and can range from anything to basic filing/faxing duties to an executive administrative assistant. I would suggest contacting your local community college to see what certificates/coursework they offer in this field. Basically the kind of jobs you would be looking at, without a 4-yr college degree, would be receptionist, secretary, office clerk, etc. These typically pay a little above minimum wage. In my area (which is rural) you are looking at $8-10/hr in pay. You definitely need to have some good computer skills though along with knowledge of basic programs such as Microsoft Word and Excel. Good luck!
    Anonymous

• Contact your local community college. Take classes in Microsoft Office products, especially Word, Excel, Outlook and PowerPoint. Take at least one bookkeeping class.

A clerical position can be a great stepping stone; it can be a fantastic way to learn a business from the bottom up.

Answer by rkoloms at 6:58 PM on Apr. 25, 2010

• Definitely take classes in Microsoft office programs. Many libraries offer these classes for free, but a community college or something will look better. You don't necessarily need a degree if you have lots of work experience, but since you're re-entering the workforce, you'll need at least a two year degree. It's really experience they're looking for in this field. Good luck!
    xiemoon

Answer by xiemoon at 8:09 PM on Apr. 27, 2010