How do you help a child with a dealing with a lost of a parent?

jnsanford

Asked by jnsanford at 2:56 PM on Apr. 25, 2010 in General Parenting

• JUST BE THERE FOR THEM !
    Anonymous

• You answer all their questions and talk to them about as often as they want. Go to the library and check out books about grief and/or the death of a loved one. Do special things to help them remember the one they love. Find pictures and talk about that persons past up to the time of their death. ...just anything that they want to know. it's okay to talk about it.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 3:00 PM on Apr. 25, 2010

• What age? I saw that Katie Couric had a special with the Sesame Street characters to help kids deal with a parent's death.

Answer by admckenzie at 3:05 PM on Apr. 25, 2010

• I lost my dad and two brothers in an accident when I was 8 and my little brother was 7. My mother had a deep faith in God which was so vital. She was open about her grief, which helped, but I internalized a lot and wasn't able to really face it until I was 14. Like outstandinglove said, you be there, you answer questions, but you understand that there will be lingering effects for the rest of that child's life. The grief will have to be experienced at every new level, and you be there as much as you can. You can't fix it like a band-aid on a knee. The child will HAVE to hurt and cry. Whatever you do, don't try to stop her/him from grieving. Encourage the grief. Don't ever let the child feel like there's any reason to run or hide from it. People don't just "deal with it" like you get over a spider bite. It hurts for a long time and the throb comes back. Even if you feel like you're not fixing the pain, just being there matters.
    Adelicious

Answer by Adelicious at 3:24 PM on Apr. 25, 2010

• I lost my mom 2 years ago . I was 36. It's hard sometimes for me to deal with it. No advice other than be there for them. I can't imagine how hard that is for a child. Its hard for an adult.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 6:09 PM on Apr. 25, 2010