Baby and shorts?

With the weather getting warmer, when is it okay for baby to wear short sleeves and shorts?

He is 11 weeks old. Is this too young? Im not sure if he is still "too cold"??? Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:14 PM on Apr. 25, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I've heard that baby is comfortable dressed as warmly as you are. I tended to dress him a little more warmly, but they say there's no need to. I don't think it has anything to do with age, just weather, and, of course, don't let him be in direct sunlight for more than just a few minutes.
    Adelicious

Answer by Adelicious at 3:17 PM on Apr. 25, 2010

• Generally, a baby that young should wear as much or one layer more than what you are comfy in. My daughter was a hot baby though, and got overheated really easily, so we actually ended up putting her in less than I wear because I get cold really easily. If his hands and feet are cool but not ice cold or slightly blue, he *should* be okay; you can always pack more clothing with you if the temp goes down.
    preacherskid

Answer by preacherskid at 3:17 PM on Apr. 25, 2010

• The general rule of thumb is to dress baby in one layer more than you're comfortable in. So if it's warm enough that you would feel comfortable naked (not that you'd be running around naked), then one layer is fine for baby. If it's warm enough that you would still feel warm when naked, then it's fine to leave baby in just a diaper.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 3:18 PM on Apr. 25, 2010

• well how does the weather feel to you? remember that they are smaller and if your hot they are likely to be hotter because of there smaller size. how hot does your outside thermomiter say? if its inbetween 80 and 100 then yeah its fine. mine is in shorts already and its 80 but he is almost 3yrs. i just go off how i feel and check him every once in a while to make sure his temperature is regular.
    19_klayton

Answer by 19_klayton at 3:19 PM on Apr. 25, 2010

• What Adelicious said!
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 3:20 PM on Apr. 25, 2010

• It's so funny to me how people think that babies need to be bundled up year round or that they get cold faster then you. lol. My son was bornin August and when he would stay with my MIL I would pick him up and he would have a knitted hat on and be wrapped in 1 or 2 blankets sweating! Whatever you are comfortable in he will be to. Just make sure you are adjusting if you stay warmer or cooler than most people.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 3:22 PM on Apr. 25, 2010

• I always dress my baby in whatever I'm wearing. If I'm wearing shorts then he wears shorts. That way I know for sure if he's comfortable or not.
    Christina2135

Answer by Christina2135 at 3:34 PM on Apr. 25, 2010

• Babies are just tiny human beings. If we are comfortable in shorts, they will be too.

KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 3:44 PM on Apr. 25, 2010