What do you do about allergies and a 4 year old?

She is just miserable, but she doesn't seem to understand that she can't play with her "dandelions".. I have been giving her Benadryl (sp?) since I already have permission from her doctor for other reasons.. But what else can I do? I feel horrible for her. She is absolutely miserable.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:17 PM on Apr. 25, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Children's Zyrtec and Claritin. That's what we give my daughter, and have been giving to her on doctor's orders since she was two. She gets a dose of Claritin in the morning and a dose of Zyrtec at night. Talk to her pediatrician about it.
    Anonymous

• Children's Zyrtec is what my allergist recommends. For a 4 yr old start with 1/4 teaspoon. If that isn't enough then you can safely give 1/2 teaspoon. My allergist says not to give Benadryl. He says it's not as effective as Zyrtec and not as safe.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 3:21 PM on Apr. 25, 2010

• Claritin childrens 24 hours dose AND get an Rx for Nasonex after about a week on both you'll only need the nasonex-- Dont use Zyrtec-- it is too new and the studies are showing a likn between it and stomach cancer--granted they are preliminary studies but I'd rather be on the safe side then the Oh shit side
    MELRN

Answer by MELRN at 3:27 PM on Apr. 25, 2010

• have you tried the honey trick? worked with my kids. find local unpasturized honey, and give her 2 tablespoons everyday. It will contain all the local allergins in the area and will help her body build an immunity to them. It usually takes about 6 weeks though. But it has worked with all my kids, and me.
    daughteroftruth

Answer by daughteroftruth at 3:35 PM on Apr. 25, 2010

• Be careful with the "honey trick"... I'd talk to her doctor and get advice..
    Anonymous

• My 3 & 4 yo get either childrens claritin or zyrtec - I usually alternate them, a couple weeks on one, then a couple weeks on the other, and so on - per dr's orders since sticking with one doesn't do the trick all spring/summer/fall. Our next step is weekly allergy shots, if things don't improve.
    Anonymous

• OP here

Thanks everyone! I Brought my daughter to the doctors yesterday for her checkup and we will be going to see an allergist soon, she also prescribed zyrtec. Thanks again!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:58 AM on Apr. 27, 2010