Can passengers or pets occupy a car being towed?

We're making a big move with a uhaul truck that will be towing our car. We don't want our pets in the truck where all our stuff is and we don't want our toddler in the front of the big truck. So we were thinking that DH could drive the truck with 1 animal in the truck with him while I rode in the car with our toddler and other animals (all seat belted of course). Does anyone know if this is illegal or unsafe in any way? The entire car will be up on a secure fastened surface and will not be turned on. We'll use the windows for fresh air. We can't fly and we can't afford pet shipping.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:37 PM on Apr. 25, 2010 in Travel

• Honestly, that does not sound safe at all. Is there anyway you could just drive the car and follow your husband?
    JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 3:56 PM on Apr. 25, 2010

• No... its totally illegal for people to ride in a towed car. It is very dangerous to boot.

For the animals, I'm not so sure.....

VeronicaLee

Answer by VeronicaLee at 6:36 PM on Apr. 25, 2010

• I should have said.... it is totally illegal where I live (Georgia).

Maybe you could call your local sheriff's office and ask if it is illegal where you are.

VeronicaLee

Answer by VeronicaLee at 6:40 PM on Apr. 25, 2010