Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

FAFSA forms

I don't know whether to post this in Money, Teenagers or what. My 19 year old son who graduated in 2008 now is ready to talk about college. So it is my first experience looking at the required FAFSA forms. I already feel like it's going to take a year or more to get through it.
One question I have is: we do not know where his birth father is. I did receive child support from my state who supposedly went after him to be repaid. But I have no knowledge of where he is. How do I "prove" that to the financial aid people?


Asked by kjrn79 at 4:04 PM on Apr. 25, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

Level 22 (14,066 Credits)
This question is closed.
Answers (7)
  • The FASFA is not as bad as it seems. First thing is to just fill out the necessary information. If your son knows which college he wants to go to, then I would suggest calling or going by the financial aid office there and explain the situation. More than likely, they will just have him or you fill out some information or a statement. As a former Orientation Leader for my college, my I suggest one thing, when you go with your son to his college, whether it be for registering, orientation, seeing the financial aid, have HIM be the one, to speak with the people. You can be there for support or to clarify anything related to his "father", but let him to the talking. There were so many times that young men and their moms came up to register for orientation and the young men could not even give me their name, the mom automatically did it.


    Answer by JeremysMom at 4:12 PM on Apr. 25, 2010

  • It's very simple. Fill out the forms the best you can and then when you get it back saying that you did not provide all the information they asked for online you can send them a letter explaining the situation. I had to go through something like this every year I applied for the FASFA as well. We always got approved once we sent back the letter explaining about the child support.

    Answer by Anonymous at 4:08 PM on Apr. 25, 2010

  • you dont need to"prove" it to them. when it asks for the fathers income, just dont put it. there is no income/father.
    fafsa is not very hard to fill out.
    if you need help, just go to the schools financial aid office and there will be someone there to help you. you need last yrs tax returns.

    Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 4:08 PM on Apr. 25, 2010

  • I would ask the state agency who "went after him" to give you documentation of that, then take that to the financial aid office of the college he wants to attend. They will help you through every step of the process, it isn't as hard as it looks when you first see the paperwork.

    Answer by nysa00 at 4:08 PM on Apr. 25, 2010

  • The FASFA people are great at answering your question.. The form is a pain in the ass but you can do it.. Call them and ask anytime you have a question or you can print it and take your tax return to the financial aid at the school he wants to go to.

    Answer by midnightmoma at 4:09 PM on Apr. 25, 2010

  • Thanks Jeremy's mom, son better be able to tell people his name without me by now!!!! I know what you mean though. I have been overprotective, just the two of us for most of his life. Point well taken!

    Answer by kjrn79 at 4:16 PM on Apr. 25, 2010

  • Just fill out what you know. If there is a problem they will contact you.

    Answer by admckenzie at 4:30 PM on Apr. 25, 2010