can a doctor tell if you are pregnant by doing a pelvic exam?

I am thinking of scheduling one because I have pregnancy syptoms but all the tests have been negative. I moved to aa different state last month so I don't have an OB...should I just go to a walk-in clinic and ask for a pelvic exam? I'm not due for one so I don't want to pay for it if it's not guarenteed to answer my question.
By the way I have 2 children and iif I am pregnant I would be about 13 weeks.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:17 PM on Apr. 25, 2010 in Pregnancy

• a doc can certainly tell at 13 weeks by pelvic exam.

but a blood test would be simpler. If you live in a metropolitan area, a public health department might be able to give you some direction about where to go...they often run women's clinics.
    kjrn79

Answer by kjrn79 at 4:27 PM on Apr. 25, 2010

• yes
    bellamommyof4

Answer by bellamommyof4 at 4:21 PM on Apr. 25, 2010

• I agree with PP, just go to the health dept. Tell them you think you could be pregnant but the at home tests were negative, I am sure they will give you a blood test to make sure you are or not.
    BlainesMommy09

Answer by BlainesMommy09 at 4:39 PM on Apr. 25, 2010

• Better to have a blood test then to have a pelvic exam so early in your pregnancy.
    QandA

Answer by QandA at 4:58 PM on Apr. 25, 2010

• I would go for a pelvic exam, at 13 weeks they will be able to tell. A blood test would be a good option too.
    Anonymous

• What does a blood test show that a urine test won't?
    Anonymous

• Yes they can. My sister tested negative on both a urine test and a blood test but she was pregnant.

JAIRATRACI

Answer by JAIRATRACI at 9:02 PM on Apr. 25, 2010

• If you would be 13 weeks, a test would be positive by now. Guaranteed. However, with a pelvic exam, the doctor can tell by looking at your cervix whether you are pregnant. It turns purple when you are pregnant due to the increased blood flow. Normally, the cervix is bright pink.
    A blood test is something you can try, but it won't tell you much more than a urine test would.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 1:46 AM on Apr. 26, 2010