How do you all feel about the language barrier we have in the US?

Should immigrants have to learn English to become citizen (and not just enough to pass the test)? Is it right that a lot of places won't hire you anymore if you are not bilingual? Do you think everyone in the US should learn a second language? How do you feel about some schools making Spanish as a second language a requirement, for kids even in kindergarten?

I'm taking a class on political science and I really dont have a stance one way or the other on this, so I'm looking for a little help :-)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:33 PM on Apr. 25, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• i hate it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! if people wanna come to my country, then they need to learn my language and adapt to our culture!!

i do think its nice to have a second language...but i dont think it should be a requirement. and i dont think schools should force kids to learn one if they dont want to
    Anonymous

• I am sick of having to push "1" for English. I would not go to Mexico, Russia...etc and expect them to learn my language. If you come to America, learn engligh! Every american should be able to decide for themselves if they want to learn a second language in school.
    Merjo

Answer by Merjo at 4:44 PM on Apr. 25, 2010

• I am learning Japanese, chinese and Russian but none of those help me get a job. I am moving to Japan in a couple years to create anime and I think in this country any language you want to speak should be allowed.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 4:47 PM on Apr. 25, 2010

• The US doesn't have an official language and that has to be remembered. Should people learn English while they live here, I think yes they should make the attempt to learn it. It makes their life easier. Do I think we should make the official language English? No. I don't. The US is called a melting pot for a reason and our country was founded on immigrants and to make any language and official language takes away from those ideals. I also do believe people in the US should learn a second language or even more, it would make us more global and teach those who think people can pick up a brand new language easily how hard it is to learn a new language.
    kuriequinn

Answer by kuriequinn at 4:48 PM on Apr. 25, 2010

• I see nothing wrong with having Spanish as a second language but EVERYONE should be required to speak English well enough to communicate once they become citizens. No one should be forced to learn a second language such as Spanish or any other language in this country. There is no reason that anyone cannot learn English once they are in the U.S. Having lived in another country (Turkey) I know that learning another language as an adult can be difficult; however, if I wanted to communicate with people in the country I knew that I needed to learn the language.
    MrsHatch4

Answer by MrsHatch4 at 4:49 PM on Apr. 25, 2010

• In most countries they learn their language AND English. I think they should do that here. Teach regular classes,but from the very beginning teach another language. I think it would be great for kids to have another skill they can use as adults.
    AngiDas

Answer by AngiDas at 4:49 PM on Apr. 25, 2010

• quoting anon 4:46

The official language of the United States of America is English. If you want to live here, work here and/or be a citizen here and reap all the rewards of our country, then you speak our official language. I have no problem with anyone speaking more than one language. I do not agree that MY children should learn Spanish at any age, unless they WANT to .

Bingo. If I were to visit or live in another country it would be my responsibility to learn the language. Why shouldnt we expect the same here?
    duckigrrl

Answer by duckigrrl at 4:51 PM on Apr. 25, 2010

• I honestly think If you come here and want to live you should have to learn english..we should not have to make our children learn a second language because we have immigrants..and no when people go to find a job its not fair for ppl to have to be bilingual..
    Anonymous

• since the UNITED STATES has no offical language why should people wanting to be citizens have to learn english? I think this needs to be taught in school. The US is the only country without an offical language. Don't believe me look it up.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 5:04 PM on Apr. 25, 2010

• http://ask.yahoo.com/20011107.html
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 5:06 PM on Apr. 25, 2010