Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do you think it is safe to use bleach?

I have gone green but the bleach I am having a hard time letting go. It cleans so well and gems get the axe too! So Moms what do you think???

 
Sarahedger

Asked by Sarahedger at 4:35 PM on Apr. 25, 2010 in Just for Fun

Level 8 (269 Credits)
This question is closed.
Answers (9)
  • Chlorine Bleach is very damaging to the environment, and very easy (and cheap) to replace. I use the following:
    1/4 cup white vinegar
    3/4 cup warm water
    1 Tablespoon Baking Soda
    10 drop tea tree oil (antibacterial, antifungal)
    2 drops lavendar essential oil (antiseptic and smells nice)
    rkoloms

    Answer by rkoloms at 6:45 PM on Apr. 25, 2010

  • I prefer not to use it unless everyone in the house gets sick and keeps passing a bug back and forth, which is rare. The fumes alone are toxic. There are things live lavender, tea tree oil, and probably some more that are naturally fight germs and such. But ultimately it's your choice. :)
    duckigrrl

    Answer by duckigrrl at 4:47 PM on Apr. 25, 2010

  • I use it. I just make sure I rinse it well and the room I'm using it in (usually the bathroom) is well ventilated while I'm using it and for a little while after because I'm pregnant and the fumes bother me.
    I have a spray bottle with a mixture of bleach and water that I keep in my bathroom to do quick spray downs and clean ups.
    kimberlyinberea

    Answer by kimberlyinberea at 4:47 PM on Apr. 25, 2010

  • I use it. But I got an email that peroxide does alot of the same that bleach does


    http://www.truthorfiction.com/rumors/h/hydrogen-peroxide.htm

    bizima4

    Answer by bizima4 at 4:48 PM on Apr. 25, 2010

  • Just diluted vinegar will do a great job too.

    Anonymous

    Answer by Anonymous at 7:19 PM on Apr. 25, 2010

  • I am going green. I am now using a lot of baking soda, lemon juice or white vinegar. Bleach is not good on the skin and obviously has chemicals that we are most likely inhaling.
    dimatteo

    Answer by dimatteo at 7:56 PM on Apr. 25, 2010

  • My husband is addicted to bleach. Too!
    mmmegan38

    Answer by mmmegan38 at 9:12 PM on Apr. 25, 2010

  • I use bleach. There's no taking it from me. Hubby hates the smell, but that's too bad.
    Pnukey

    Answer by Pnukey at 10:12 PM on Apr. 25, 2010

  • i use mostly green cleaners too but use bleach on my light colored linoleum because we have the most awful red dirt here. even the vinegar solutions don't get it up.
    rhianna1708

    Answer by rhianna1708 at 10:18 PM on Apr. 25, 2010

close Cafemom Join now to connect to other members! Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN