Is the economy influencing any major decisions in your family life?

Reconsidering having another child?
Looking to buy a home? Having to sell a home?
Looking for supplemental income? Looking for primary income? Looking to quit your job and stay home?
Anything else?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:37 PM on Apr. 25, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• No, so far everything has been about the same for us.
    armywife2009101

Answer by armywife2009101 at 5:41 PM on Apr. 25, 2010

• About the same here too.
    Anonymous

• None of those, but my husband has lost his job, and we are on PA until we can find another one....anything to get us by. We're struggling badly.
    Anonymous

• Oh let me add we are still putting away the same amount of cash as always in to the savings account. However, we dont have as much "free/spending" money as usual, but that isnt affecting us terribly. We usually give cash or donate food and stuff to charities this year we havnt done it as much, because we dont have as much free cash.
    armywife2009101

Answer by armywife2009101 at 5:50 PM on Apr. 25, 2010

• We are about to make a move thousands of miles from our current locale. We were able to rent our house ~ because no one wants to buy in our areas because of the uncertainty... Since we have been saving our money pretty heavily lately, we are looking to buy a new RV as a new fun family adventure for weekend trips, etc. Where we are moving to is too dangerous to tent camp with dogs because of the bear.... Because of the economy, we are getting some killer deals on new RV's.... Time to dig deep and stimulate and help those RV manufacturing jobs in Indiana...

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 5:54 PM on Apr. 25, 2010

• me and hubby were laid off for a year. We cut back on extras and did wothout what we could..now we are both back to work and still trying to find ways to save so if it happened again, we would be OK...We were so fortunate that we didnt fall behind on any bills, I know many who weren't so fortunate

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 6:09 PM on Apr. 25, 2010

• We are saving more (or hoarding). If I thought we could sell our house for a decent amount of money and not sell for less than we paid I would unload my house without a second thought and I would downsize to a more manageable sized house.  That probably won't happen for a little while though, because we have two foreclosures around the corner from us - larger houses that are selling for way less per sq. ft. 

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 6:10 PM on Apr. 25, 2010

• we had to move in may because our house went into foecloser, the payments went from $600 to over a thousand. so yes, we had the house for sale for over a year and hardly any showings (maybe no one was looking to buy because people are hard on cash these days?) but just a few showings at the least. i do blame the economy for not having to sell my house though, it is not the right time...someone once said if we would of put the house for sale the year before (when i told my husband to), we might of gotten luckier.
    americansugar80

Answer by americansugar80 at 6:41 PM on Apr. 25, 2010

• oh also...my nieghbor had a forecloser on his house right next to us also and you couldnt even make bedrooms in that house it was so small. dont ask how he fit his 3 kids in it....
    americansugar80

Answer by americansugar80 at 6:44 PM on Apr. 25, 2010

• My daughter, who will graduate in May with her MA, has recently been hired to by a So American firm. Most of the US companies (in her field) expect  agraduate degree AND 5 years of work experience in the field. She has hired on with a good firm, but will have to live in So America. She is able and willing-

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 7:31 PM on Apr. 25, 2010