Any mommas got any tips on how to help?

do you have any mommy tricks on how to help diaper rash from teething? I am using butt paste and when ny son wakes up from his nap I am gonna let him go diaper less for a while but anything else? He has been having teething poop for 3 days now and his rash is horrible :( he cries everytime I have to change his diaper b/c it is really hurting him. I have heard of cornstarch but I don't have any of that on hand...any other ideas? He is 16 months old

leann74016

Asked by leann74016 at 6:22 PM on Apr. 25, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I always put a layer of vaseline on before the desitin or butt paste or what ever you use. My DD used to get horrible teething rashes. It helped her quite a bit.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 6:24 PM on Apr. 25, 2010

• feed him bananas to help firm up his poop, so it's not so messy and all over the place, burning his butt. I put strait vaseline/petrolium jelly on and nothing else. make sure your changing his diapers often, he's drinking plenty of water and NOT EATING OR DRINKING ANYTHING containing apples/apple juice. It should clear up pretty quickly.
    Rash is caused by the acid in the poop and pee.
    Anonymous

• Try longer warm baths, it will soothe the skin. Also make sure to change his diaper VERY frequently to avoid extra irritation. f it continues you can ask his doctor for Nystatin. It works miracles on diaper rash.
    imamommmmyyy

Answer by imamommmmyyy at 6:35 PM on Apr. 25, 2010

• PETROLEUM JELLY... When my baby had a diaper rash that was so bad even desitin and butt paste just irritated it and she would cry in pain too so i used petroleum jelly and it worked wonders
    navajomama7

Answer by navajomama7 at 7:44 PM on Apr. 25, 2010

• I used bepanthen ( I'm in Australia so you might not have that brand but a cream with panthenol in it) it is a Baby cream but is also used by tattoo artists to sooth and protect the skin after - Let him dry out a bit. Avoid anything acidic like apples, pears, tomato based products, Long warm baths in Pinetarsol ( or similar pine tar solution) will really help sooth and stop itching -smells hideous but it does help. You can also make up a 50/50 mix with warm water and pine tar solution and dab it on with a cotton ball- let it just sit on the skin- It is also a toss up between using the best quality diapers to keep moisture locked away the best or using very cheap ones and changing every half hour, they are a perfect warm moist breeding ground for lots of nasties. You can get urine alkalizing sachets at the drugstore- a very small amount in a sippy cup will help neutralise and stop acid pee. Good Luck
    myheartx4

Answer by myheartx4 at 9:10 PM on Apr. 25, 2010

• What on earth does teething have to do with a diaper rash? I have heard about a thousand things blamed on teething but this is a new one for me!
    Anonymous

• Anon 9:53...when a baby is teething they have teething poop which consist of watery running yellow almost diaherrea like poop which occurs almost every hour right now for my son, which is causing him to break out in a diaper rash. I change him immediately after he poops like this but when it is happening 10 times in one day then there becomes a diaper rash problem.
    leann74016

Answer by leann74016 at 12:12 AM on Apr. 26, 2010