15 month old too stubborn to drink from a sippy cup is it that important?

She will go over 24 hours without drinking anything and not having a wet diaper. At that time we give in, for her safety, and let her have a bottle. We have at least 8 different types of sippy cups in house and even let her pick out designs. She just is too stubborn to change.

Any ideas or advice? Please? We started at about 9 months.

girlneffy

Asked by girlneffy at 6:23 PM on Apr. 25, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• is it that important? Yes, it is very important.
    Anonymous

• The biggest risk of continuing a bottle is if the child has the bottle just before falling asleep. If the teeth aren't brushed after the bottle, the milk sits on the teeth overnight and can cause problems. I'm assuming you're putting milk into the bottle. You might try putting water into the bottle and milk into a sippy cup (or even just help her drink directly from a reguar, open cup). If she just drinks the water out of the bottle, you can probably keep the bottle longer since you're eliminated the biggest problem. Whatever you do, keep trying. I'd pick one style of sippy cup and stick with it. Too much switching around may be making the situation worse. If all else fails, call your doctor's office and ask for their advice..
    momofryan07

Answer by momofryan07 at 6:29 PM on Apr. 25, 2010

• It's not important that she's not drinking out of a sippy cup....try using a regular cup. You'll have to help her each time, but some kids skip stuff. My DD refused to use a bottle and went strait from bf to sippy cup and soon after a regular cup ( with help).
    It's important their drinking lots of fluids.
    sandypops

Answer by sandypops at 6:34 PM on Apr. 25, 2010

• I agree with pp, except to add that sucking from a bottle also can cause a deformity in the palate, if continued too long. I think it's an excellent idea to try an open cup, meaning you hold the cup, tell her she is a big girl and let her drink milk that way. Use water in the bottle until she is ready. (maybe she's not ready to give up your support!) That's a new one on me. I've never heard of a child going so long refusing to drink.
    Anonymous

• Have you tried the sippy cups that actually convert to a bottle?? I bought one of those for my son when he was around 8 months and he loved it and still uses it now as a sippy cup. All you have to do is attach the handles and change the nipples when shes ready
    Ctink8189

Answer by Ctink8189 at 6:36 PM on Apr. 25, 2010

• Yes she needs to be off the bottle....Dont give in to her even after 24 hours give her everything but the bottle have you tried the straw cups......my neice wouldn't drink milk at all and her doc told us to not give her anything at all but milk (not even water) she went 3 days with out drinking ANYTHING at all (i know bc i babysit her) and now she LOVES milk so it works..............Maybe you could try only putting water in the bottle and her fav. drink in the cup and don't ever put anything good in the bottle
    Anonymous

• Hi there, It is not important that she uses a sippy cup - thousands of years of babies didn't have them and they were all okay :-)
    For your own sanity a cup with a lid is ideal - if you haven't already try a straw cup - mine managed better with those, or she can use a regular cup - we started ours with a large medicine cup as the big cups just ended up all over them.
    Another idea is have Daddy and you got sports drink bottles . Make a point of using them all day and night, and at first say "no that's Mummy's" if she wants some. Then 'give in' and let her have a sip. She will think it's special to get to have Mummy's drink bottle. Voilla' baby is now using a sippy cup substitute.
    Lastly if you are very serious and all bottles are finished with. Take them away, give them way or throw them away, and don't go back. She will not hold out forever.
    myheartx4

Answer by myheartx4 at 9:00 PM on Apr. 25, 2010