How do I start a garden?

We just bought our first house and my husband and I want to try a veggie garden. We have seed for corn, watermelons, bell peppers. I don't even know where to start. Can some one give me simple tips for planting, tilling, watering, etc.?

mommie_2boys

Asked by mommie_2boys at 6:54 PM on Apr. 25, 2010 in Home & Garden

• You can rent a tiller if you don't know anyone who has one. Locate an area that gets plenty of sun. Each packet will tell you how to plant seeds, so decide how much you want to plant and how much space you need. Everyone does it differently, but this is how I do it: For tomatoes, I dig a pit, throw a couple shovel-fulls of steer manure in, cover with a couple inches dirt, then plant my tomato in a round bowl-shaped indentation about 3-5" deep and a couple feet in diameter. They grow 7 feet tall! I have to make my own tomato cages with 4" fencing. I plant the tomatoes a couple feet apart (between plants). You can get steer manure anywhere, walmart has it for 97c a bag. Make sure your plants and roots don't come in direct contact with it fresh, because it will burn them until it's aged a little. I don't have much experience with corn. I plant peppers and eggplant and okra in ditches and fill them with water about every other day
    Adelicious

Answer by Adelicious at 6:59 PM on Apr. 25, 2010

• ...I'll PM you....
    Adelicious

Answer by Adelicious at 7:00 PM on Apr. 25, 2010

• Martha Stewart has a section on this on her website. I would go there first. Have fun!
    Anonymous

• If you plan on corn, make sure you have plenty of space as the corn on the outside rows wont have corn.
    Anonymous