What do you do if your child refuses to go anywhere as in birthday parties or out in public where a group of people might be.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:59 PM on Apr. 25, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I talk to his/her doctor about it. Some will say it is normal & some will say it is not.
    itsallabtthem84

Answer by itsallabtthem84 at 7:07 PM on Apr. 25, 2010

• What are the child's reasoning's? He/she may be shy but if it is so bad they just can not go out then I would take them to the doctor. It could be a psychological issue. If it is just discomfort in public I would encourage them to go out more. Try just having them go out with one or two people then increase the number of people.
    imamommmmyyy

Answer by imamommmmyyy at 7:10 PM on Apr. 25, 2010

• My daughter is like that sometimes. I go with her when I can. I invite kids over for her to get to know on a one on one basis so when she is in a group at school or a party, she'll have a buddy. My DD seems to do better when we go where there are groups of people often I guess because she gets used to it.
    Anonymous

• I WAS that child. Still like that but that's why I enjoy being online so much. I'm in control of my environment. Strangers terrify me and crowds make me have panic attacks. Once I get to know people it helps and I'm ok then like at family reunions where I know everyone. The key is to slowly get the child to meet and feel comfortable with a person/people. Don't try to force the child. It can do serious damage. Make sure the child is on a place he/she feels safe. I was lucky to be able to be in the same elementary school then in the same building for both middle and senior high. I fell apart when it was time to go to college though. Just go slow and let the child tell you what he/she is capable of doing.

Answer by admckenzie at 7:56 PM on Apr. 25, 2010

• Speak to her doctor. I was like that as a child, I had a social anxiety disorder - though I doubt that's what it was called back then. I'm still like that actually though not as bad. I don't feel comfortable in public settings, or near crowds. Throughout school I was painfully shy and had only a few close friends. I used to get panic attacks and sometimes I'd get sick - to the point of passing out at school when we had to do group activities or during an assembly. I haven't passed out in a long time out in public but I sometimes still get mild panic attacks.
    Anonymous