Sleep schedules

Is it common for babies to change their sleeping schedules?

For example, baby sleeps from 9pm to 6am with no feedings, suddenly going back to waking every 3 to 4 hours for a feeding? Or can you say once baby starts sleeping through the night, its likely it wont change?

My son has been sleeping through since he was 6 weeks old. He is now 11 weeks old and I was wondering if this will more than likely be set, or can I expect it to change again?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:00 PM on Apr. 25, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• It happens. Sometimes changes in live can do this. (ex: teething)
    itsallabtthem84

Answer by itsallabtthem84 at 7:06 PM on Apr. 25, 2010

• Usually when they start to sleep through the night they will continue to. His schedule may change but it is unlikely he will go back to waking up in the middle of the night to eat.
    imamommmmyyy

Answer by imamommmmyyy at 7:07 PM on Apr. 25, 2010

• My daughter started sleeping 11 hours at night when she was 7 weeks old. At 6 months, she started waking up every 2-4 hours again, and she just turned 1 and still wakes up. In her case, I think it had a lot to do with me starting to leave her home while I went to work during the day -- she's making up for lost time during the day by waking up more often during the night. When my son started sleeping through the night at 2.5 months, he never routinely woke up in the middle of the night again, and he's now almost 3, but he never had any major changes to his routine.

Changes create more changes. If nothing else in his life changes, then he'll probably keep sleeping through the night. If something does change, then his sleeping schedule might change, and for some babies that change can be something minor like teething or a growth spurt. He'll probably keep sleeping through the night, but no way to know for sure.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 7:14 PM on Apr. 25, 2010

• Basically the way it works is that as soon as you think you have your baby all figured out, things change. it is very unusual for a baby to set and stick to a sleep pattern in the first year. All kinds of things come up to disrupt sleep: growth spurt, teething, a cold, developmental milestones like standing and crawling etc.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 9:19 PM on Apr. 25, 2010

• My daughter started sleeping a 6 hour stretch (considered sleeping through the night) at 4 weeks old. The only thing that changed with her was the amount she would sleep. Such as going from 6 hours to 12 hours during the first 6 months of her life. From 6 months to about 12 months she slept from 7:30-7:30 (now we changed it to 8-8). So what I am getting at is with my daughter, she never started waking up for a feeding in the middle of the night once she started sleeping that 6 hours stretch. On very rare, once in a blue moon occasions, she might wake up in the middle of the night and usually put herself back to sleep within a few mins.
    vickwu

Answer by vickwu at 11:07 PM on Apr. 25, 2010

• Unless you get really, really lucky... they change. I wouldn't expect really regular sleeping patterns until age 2
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 11:33 AM on Apr. 26, 2010

• Change is the only true constant in your life. Don't get too used to anything.

Answer by gdiamante at 6:04 PM on Apr. 26, 2010