what should i do for a first birthdayy?

Little Keli is turning 1 next month:))

lanlan

Asked by lanlan at 7:08 PM on Apr. 25, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I know everyone is different, and some people like to do a really big deal because it's the first and all. So this is just my preference, some people will disagree: I think for my son's first I'm just going to keep it simple. Invite family, have a nice little party, not spend a lot of money or give him a ton of things. He's too young to understand what's going on, so the party is really more about the people who come, and I'm just not into wining and dining a lot of people for that purpose. Just me!
    Adelicious

Answer by Adelicious at 7:13 PM on Apr. 25, 2010

• If you've got family around, invite them over, have a chocolate cake for the little one and take pictures. It's ridiculous to spend massive amount of money on decorations and entertainment that your child will have no recollection of.
    Anonymous

• My first baby turned one at the beginning of the month. We rented a water slide and invited all our family over. We BBQd and had a pinata too. We live in Florida and have a large yard so it worked for us. We had about 60 people over. We did spend a lot of money but I see the first birthday as not only a birthday celebration but a celebration of the day we became a true family. We took tons of pictures so she will know what the day was like.
    imamommmmyyy

Answer by imamommmmyyy at 7:22 PM on Apr. 25, 2010

• "...I see the first birthday as not only a birthday celebration but a celebration of the day we became a true family..."

That's true!
    Adelicious

Answer by Adelicious at 7:41 PM on Apr. 25, 2010

• My sons birthday isnt till August & Im already -$300. Booked a room because we have 75+ people on tghe guest list & we dont have a house to fit everyone. I decided to go w/ Mickey Mouse bc my son love him. I bought a helium tank & massive amounts of balloons. I already had a trial run of his bday cake. Its going to be a huge production. I agree with imamommmmmmy. He may not remember the birthday part of it- but its the day we bc a family & the missing piece of my heart was filled. That alone deserves an all out party!
    pinkcicle709

Answer by pinkcicle709 at 7:42 PM on Apr. 25, 2010

• My son LOVES dogs so we are having him a puppy themed birthday party. We also got him his very own puppy so they can grow up together. It's next weekend and I am so excited. I did buy a lot of decorations and im having dog and dog boned shaped sandwhiches cut with a cookie cutter, chips, all of his favorite fruits and vegetables on trays, and a dog birthday cake. I am just having it at home and inviting close friends and family maybe like 17 ppl or so I am giving the guest "doggie bags" with dog boned sugar cookies. What kinds of things does she like? Go from there:) GL
    Chas21

Answer by Chas21 at 9:37 PM on Apr. 25, 2010

• spending tons of money is a bit silly in my humble opinion. especially in the struggling economy. my family has a tradition of closest family coming, a nice dinner, and chocolate cake for everyone. then we put the baby in the highchair in nothing but a diaper and give him or her a piece or cake or a cupcake whatever the case may be. and then sit back and watch the messy chaos that ensues. we always video tape the event or take TONS of pictures. it's simple cheap and way more fun than the stress and expense of a huge birthday bash.
    lillielpr

Answer by lillielpr at 9:47 AM on Apr. 26, 2010