My child went to a birthday party and he freaked out and came home crying. I took him to a developmental pediactric doctor she says he has borderline social disorder and borderline aspergers. Do you think I need another opinion?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:22 PM on Apr. 25, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Not if he tested him. If he just heard the story, then maybe another would be worth investing in. Being Borderline isn't a terrible thing. There is even a CM group of moms with it.
    Anonymous

• He is still freaking out in the meantime what do I do she wants to put him on low dose of Prozac. I have heard so many negative things about Prozac now I am scared.
    Anonymous

• Do not let and doctor put your kid on any drugs. He will end up having to be on the his whole life. Also, if that causes a side effect (which it will) they'll just put him on another pill and before you know it he'll be on four or five different pills. I would get a second opinion. Do you know what Prozac is and what it can do to a developing brain? If you love your kid you shouldn't put him on something that could kill him.
    SaraP1989

Answer by SaraP1989 at 7:42 PM on Apr. 25, 2010

• Did your doctor give you anything to explain what he is going through to you? Pamplets? Support groups? Information? Anything? There are a lot of things you can do to help your son WITHOUT drugs. Start doing some research! Also, if you feel you need a second opinion then go get one. I feel that we, as parents, know our children much more than anyone including doctors can. If you have been feeling like there is something going on with your son then I would say believe your doctor if you haven't thought anything was up then go for another doctor visit. Aspergers isn't the end of the world, and it is soooo common.
    dbodani

Answer by dbodani at 7:57 PM on Apr. 25, 2010

• Many kids with ASD are on prozac - it's usually the first drug they try because it causes less side effects than others. I had the option to put my son on prozac and chose not to. He's 12 and has ASD and has never been on any drugs, but I know many parents who do have their ASD kids on some type of medication. Do some research, get some information, and then if you still think prozac is the best choice, I hope it works for him!

Answer by missanc at 9:58 PM on Apr. 25, 2010

• When it comes to my kids I always get a second opinion on serious situations...I brought my 7 year old to three different specialists before her EEG and MRI when they thought she might have epilepsy. My 4 year old's preschool teacher thinks she has ADHD, I talked to her doctor and after lots of research I decided to give it another year before making any choices about medications or anything like that.
    Anonymous

• sounds like it could also be a social anxiety problem. my oldest has a terrible time at parties - all the noise and excitement just freaks her out.

Anonymous