Can God create a larger rock than he can roll??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:23 PM on Apr. 25, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• No
    Anonymous

• I think there are some thing's that are just totally irrelevant. I've heard this question before, and what I do know is what Jesus said that "a kingdom divided against itself cannot stand." In other words, it's not about what He CAN or CAN'T do; God will not work against Himself, and speculating about it is just silly.
    Anonymous

• OMFG people... Can't anyone take a joke? This question has been asked and reasked over and over again and there can never be an answer. IF you believe God can do anything then your answer would have to be no, God can move anything... On the other hand that would be saying that he can't create a rock to large to move... No matter how you look at it you are limiting God to human standards... Which I think is one more answer to religion in general... And one of the many reasons I don't believe the God is perfect or all powerful or singular...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 7:33 PM on Apr. 25, 2010

• confused Is there a punch line to your question?

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 7:44 PM on Apr. 25, 2010

• Funny how people can get their panties all tied in knots over such a silly question.
    Anonymous

• Just because He can doesn't mean He will.
    WON'T doesn't equal CAN'T
    Anonymous

• "WOOHOO!! Right on, anon!!! Exactly!! Oh and thanks."

You're welcome, and I kind of owe you one. You and I get into it every so often and even though we don't agree on many things you're still my sister in Christ and I do agree with some things you say and your POV once in a while.
    Anonymous

• No he can't.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 7:57 PM on Apr. 25, 2010

• His omnipotence is not something independent of His nature. It is part of His nature. God has a nature and His attributes operate within that nature, as does anything and everything else. For example, I have human nature. I can run. But, I cannot outrun a lion. My nature simply does not permit it. My ability to run is connected to my nature and I cannot violate it. So too with God. His omnipotence is connected to His nature since being omnipotent is part of what He is. Omnipotence, then, must be consistent with what He is and not with what He is not since His omnipotence is not an entity to itself. Therefore, God can only do those things that are consistent with His nature. He cannot lie because it is against His nature to do so. Not being able to lie does not mean He is not God or that He is not all powerful. The point is that God cannot do something that is a violation of His own existence and nature.
    Anonymous

• Another way to look at it is realize that in order for God to make something so big He couldn't pick it up, He would have to make a rock bigger than Himself. Since He is infinite in size, He would have to make something that would be bigger than Himself. Since it is His nature to be the biggest thing in existence because He created all things, He cannot violate His own nature by making a rock that is larger than He. Also, since a rock, by definition, is not infinitely big, then it isn't logically possible to make a rock, something that is finite in size, be infinite in size (no longer a rock) since only God is infinite in size. A rock, by definition is not infinitely large. So, to say that the rock must be so big that God cannot pick it up or roll it is to say that the rock is no longer a rock.
    Anonymous