Does your child throw tantrums and if so, what are they like?

My son just turned 3 and throws a tantrum about something silly frequently. Sometimes they are quickly resolved other times they go on and on. They are loud and he is inconsolable... is this normal? My daughter is 5 and never seemed to act even remotely this bad.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:51 PM on Apr. 25, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• the freak somtimes real crys, kicking throwing things. yes its normal, they are testing us to see what they can do to get their way. i put my son in time out when he acts up! hes 2.
    Anonymous

• hell no they dont throw tantrums, bc they would get their behinds spanked! that ends a tantrum REAL fast!
    Anonymous

• Tantrums are obviously normal, but when the parent just ignores it is when it gets really bad. You cant ignore that behavior, or it will never get better and you will not even be able to bring him in to public places. I hate the "time out rule". Do not put him in the corner, that doesnt work, I dont care what the NANNY said lol. You get down to his level so you are eye to eye, even if he is screaming kicking etc...you wait till he can see your face, then you tell him....NO YOU NEED TO STOP RIGHT NOW!! be firm. Then if he doesnt and he probably wont, then take him to the living room and sit him on the sofa or chair, and tell him to stay there until he can stop. If he gets off, put him right back. Keep doing it, even if you feel like giving up. and If none of this works, slap his butt....seriously! Dont beat the poor child, but spank him and then look right at him and say you stop it now!!
    Anonymous

• How does it go? Well, he usually lets out a shriek first, then drops to the ground like like he's just been shot, then he howls into the ground, kick his legs and flails his arms for a few seconds, then he stops and looks at me and when he realizes it's not working he lets out one more cry and then gets up and carries on with his life lol.

I ignore it when we're at home because I really don't care if he throws a fit where I can just walk away and not have to listen to it but it's his public behavior I am concerned about. If he throws a fit in public I am more firm with him. He gets a swat on the butt occasionally at home but I never lay a hand on him in public. If his tantrum lasts (which honestly is usually doesn't) I take him to the side and tell him he needs to behave and then wait until he gets over it.
    Anonymous