feeding a carnivore with no teeth...

Ok...my daughter just turned one, and has been on baby-food (per pediatrician's orders) since she was about 4 months old. She's always had a good appetite and taken well to new foods. The problem I'm having is that she is pretty good at self-feeding, but she only has two bottom teeth. My other kids had more at this age. I understand individual growth and all, I'm not worried about her not having more teeth yet, I'm just at a loss as to what I should be feeding her.
She doesn't want to be spoon-fed by us anymore, can't really handle a spoon herself yet, and I'm just about out of ideas for "big-girl" foods that she can eat with her only 2 teeth! We've gone through most of the baby-finger foods on the market, but especially now that she's made the switch to real milk, I worry about her nutrition. Any help???

leeceeann

Asked by leeceeann at 9:29 PM on Apr. 25, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• when we were doing the transition I would give him a spoon and have another one myself, then I would slip in bites in between his...it was a win win he eats and feels like a big boy
    gypsymama532

Answer by gypsymama532 at 12:05 AM on Apr. 26, 2010

• It's amazing how well a baby without teeth can gum their food. My kids got teeth late and did just fine chewing without teeth as long as the pieces were small.
    Anonymous

• She should be able to eat most of what you eat by using her gums to mash up the food. You use your molars to chew anyway, and if we waited until kids had molars to feed them table foods, they wouldn't be having any until very late! My son only had 2 teeth at 8 months, but we put him on table food and he did fine.

Answer by missanc at 9:41 PM on Apr. 25, 2010

• Well...she certainly can eat almost anything...it's the feeding herself part that I'm having trouble with. She's been on table food mostly for quite a while....she's just getting frustrated with being fed...and there are only so many things I've found that she can feed herself. I guess I'm mostly looking for ideas....suggestions of good things that are easy for her to hold and eat. Like I said, we've done most of the "Gerber Graduate" snacks and meals. Of course bananas, green beans, cubed chicken, mac and cheese, etc. I guess I just feel like she's getting bored in this transition time before she can really use a spoon.
    ........Her next older sibling is 18 years old...I've been out of the game for a looong time..lol
    leeceeann

Answer by leeceeann at 10:05 PM on Apr. 25, 2010

• thanks...good idea
    leeceeann

Answer by leeceeann at 8:26 AM on Apr. 26, 2010